SuperCoach Scores Twitter SuperCoach Scores Facebook
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 21 to 30 of 30

Thread: Floating Donut

  1. #21
    Rising Star Winner
    Join Date: 20-07-2012
    AFL Club: Hawthorn
    Posts: 213
    Likes: 46
    Rep Power: 1497


    0 Not allowed!

    So i was 100% committed too 2 floating donuts, one in the ruck and one elsewhere. Than i realized that i don't think i will use mine in the ruck.
    I had Sinclair lined up and he was about the one bloke who had stayed in my team. I just had a real think about the strategy and thought that people like me going with the premo and Luenberger strategy or set and forget will lose out on this one.
    Obviously the DPP of Sinclair is a luxury and may help me once through the season. Otherwise he is sitting there doing nothing, while i could have a cash cow.
    Basically you need two rookies with the Fwd/Ruc label, one up front and one in the ruck. Otherwise to use the donut in the fowardline you will have to sit Luenberger or one of your premiums on the bench. I'm definently not for that. Basically by having the one floating donut in the ruck you may get 3 uses the whole season. Lets say a captains loophole twice and one game playing him up foward and having a premo on the bench.
    I'm not sure about you, but instead of sacrificing two Cash-Cows+ maybe another in either mid/back i would pass this strategy for ruckman. The trade-off is clearly better without the ruck donut.

    I'm sure many of you have taken this into account, but if not think about your ruck man and how the strategy will work.
    SuperCoach:  264 (2016)  345 (2015) 


  2. #22
    Best and Fairest
    Join Date: 07-05-2012
    AFL Club: Richmond
    Posts: 2,739
    Likes: 850
    Rep Power: 3523


    0 Not allowed!

    I have came around and have a floating donut sitting there on my MID bench. I caved haha
    Also Jandrews will there be two bench options in ruck? I dont see it so it be a waste without one
    SuperCoach:  4,558 (2016)  10,068 (2015)  722 (2014)  29 (2013)  474 (2012)  925 (2011) 


  3. #23
    Rising Star Winner
    Join Date: 20-07-2012
    AFL Club: Hawthorn
    Posts: 213
    Likes: 46
    Rep Power: 1497


    0 Not allowed!

    So I probably didn't explain it well so quickly.
    Basically if say you have Sinclair as your DPP link and floating donut sitting at r4.
    Than you have Dean Cox as the DPP in the forward line. To use this floating donut in the FWD line, as it is the only plausible use other than captain loophole.
    So you swap Sinclair into the Fwd line and Cox into the ruck. If like me you have two quality ruckman already there, you are going to have too put one of the 3 ruckman on the bench, basically i'm not willing to do that. The only way around having a good player on the bench is having another DPP link that can go into the ruck . Therefor sacrificing another cash cow.
    Make sense?
    SuperCoach:  264 (2016)  345 (2015) 

    Timezones make SC a nightmare


  4. #24
    Rising Star Winner
    Join Date: 20-07-2012
    AFL Club: Hawthorn
    Posts: 213
    Likes: 46
    Rep Power: 1497


    0 Not allowed!

    Is anybody going with the donut in the ruck?
    If so why and what are your intentions?
    SuperCoach:  264 (2016)  345 (2015) 

    Timezones make SC a nightmare


  5. #25
    Rising Star Nominee
    Join Date: 19-09-2012
    AFL Club: Essendon
    Posts: 158
    Likes: 43
    Rep Power: 151


    0 Not allowed!

    With 3 days until first lockout, what are everybody's thoughts on the Floating Donut now?

    A couple of good rookies have popped up in the last few weeks which have made the Floating Donut decision a little bit harder. I'm still tossing up whether to go with it; I've currently got Colquhoun as my floating donut. There's just so many good midfield and backline rookies this year that I'm not sure whether skipping on one of those rookies is worth it, considering I'll also have Sam Rowe/Daniel Currie, both of whom probably won't get many games this year either. If I take Colquhoun, then that's 3 rookies sitting on the bench not likely to get much game time. It's a risky approach, but it does give you a second chance to nail your starting rookies, which is what has cost me 20+ points a week in some years (I still remember the "Dustin Martin or Luke Shuey" revolving door a few years ago, where I picked the wrong starter nearly every week).
    Last edited by watson4brownlow; 19-03-2013 at 4:31pm.
      Quote Quote

  6. #26
    Moderator
    Join Date: 21-05-2012
    AFL Club: Hawthorn
    Posts: 15,315
    Likes: 4,956
    Rep Power: 5442
    Moderator


    0 Not allowed!

    Quote Originally Posted by watson4brownlow View Post
    With 3 days until first lockout, what are everybody's thoughts on the Floating Donut now?

    A couple of good rookies have popped up in the last few weeks which have made the Floating Donut decision a little bit harder. I'm still tossing up whether to go with it; I've currently got Colquhoun as my floating donut. There's just so many good midfield and backline rookies this year that I'm not sure whether skipping on one of those rookies is worth it, considering I'll also have Sam Rowe/Daniel Currie, both of whom probably won't get many games this year either. If I take Colquhoun, then that's 3 rookies sitting on the bench not likely to get much game time. It's a risky approach, but it does give you a second chance to nail your starting rookies, which is what has cost me 20+ points a week in some years (I still remember the "Dustin Martin or Luke Shuey" revolving door a few years ago, where I picked the wrong starter nearly every week).
    If you want to use a floating donut and still utilise the quality DEf and MID rookie options then use a MID/FOR or RUC/FOR floating donut such as Sam Rowe or Sam Kerridge. This is the path I will likely be taking as I want to try and exploit this area of SC and hopefully gain an advantage, even if it is minimal.
    SuperCoach:  7,008 (2017)  1,940 (2016)  2,715 (2015)  3,063 (2014)  8,473 (2013)  282 (2012) 

    That's What I'm Talkin' About

  7. #27
    Rising Star Nominee
    Join Date: 19-09-2012
    AFL Club: Essendon
    Posts: 158
    Likes: 43
    Rep Power: 151


    0 Not allowed!

    Quote Originally Posted by Goodie's Guns View Post
    If you want to use a floating donut and still utilise the quality DEf and MID rookie options then use a MID/FOR or RUC/FOR floating donut such as Sam Rowe or Sam Kerridge. This is the path I will likely be taking as I want to try and exploit this area of SC and hopefully gain an advantage, even if it is minimal.
    The thing is, the big part of the floating donut strategy I want to utilise is the tactic of using your floating donut to get an EMG score on the field if a rookie happens to go big on your bench. Since I'm starting the most rookies in the midfield and backline (and none up forward) it only makes sense to have a DEF/MID as the floating donut. If I was just going to use it for captain loophole then Rowe would be the perfect option.

    I guess that's something that people will have to toss up over the coming days: who will be your floating donut and how will you use them.
      Quote Quote

  8. #28
    Moderator
    Join Date: 21-05-2012
    AFL Club: Hawthorn
    Posts: 15,315
    Likes: 4,956
    Rep Power: 5442
    Moderator


    1 Not allowed!

    Quote Originally Posted by watson4brownlow View Post
    The thing is, the big part of the floating donut strategy I want to utilise is the tactic of using your floating donut to get an EMG score on the field if a rookie happens to go big on your bench. Since I'm starting the most rookies in the midfield and backline (and none up forward) it only makes sense to have a DEF/MID as the floating donut. If I was just going to use it for captain loophole then Rowe would be the perfect option.

    I guess that's something that people will have to toss up over the coming days: who will be your floating donut and how will you use them.
    If that is your main use of the floating donut strategy then go for it mate. Colquhoun seems to be a fairly good option then.
    Comes down to RISK vs REWARD again.
    SuperCoach:  7,008 (2017)  1,940 (2016)  2,715 (2015)  3,063 (2014)  8,473 (2013)  282 (2012) 

    That's What I'm Talkin' About

  9. #29
    Moderator
    Join Date: 21-03-2012
    AFL Club: Essendon
    Posts: 7,443
    Likes: 9,923
    Rep Power: 12214
    Moderator


    0 Not allowed!

    I am still undecided.

    Firstly I will have one of Rowe, Sinclair or McBean in my squad so if none of them are named that will be one floating donut but if say Rowe plays I will select him.

    I would like to have the luxury of a back/mid floating donut but spots are tight. In reality the decision may come down to how well my back emergency plays in an earlier match of round 1! How well my mid emergency plays will probably have an influence of the fate of Stevie J.
    SuperCoach:  6722 (2016)  2918 (2015)  9183 (2014)  10450 (2013)  1371 (2012)  96 (2011)  74 (2010)  3366 (2009)  329 (2008)  11 (2007)  334 (2006) 


  10. #30
    Draftee
    Join Date: 15-03-2017
    Posts: 9
    Likes: 2
    Rep Power: 31


    0 Not allowed!

    Some brilliant analysis in threads circa 2013 when the potential to use an FD was first possible. Was wondering if some of the experts could shed some light on how they perceive the value of an FD five years on... Is this simply a must-have advantage? Is this an essential part of most supercoachscores members' sides? Have the results proved beneficial? I'm considering trading in Keeffe this week as
    - I need the cash, Richards is (just) too expensive for what I wanna do, so I need to trade in one of Keeffe and Crowden
    - Keeffe lets me get Murray on field via the Sicily switcheroo

    Bringing in Keeffe would allow me to transform my current team (1st picture) into one of the following other pictures (2nd and 3rd pictures)

    Current Team



    Crowden Option



    Keeffe Option
    Last edited by Abad; 10-04-2018 at 1:55am.
      Quote Quote

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12


Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •