Strategist
    AFL Club: Essendon

4 Not allowed!

Impromptu's SuperCoach team
    SuperCoach Scores is obviously focused on the Herald Sun SuperCoach competition, however as many people involved in SuperCoach also enjoy AFL Dream Team, an article on AFL Dream Team is appropriate. For me, AFL Dream Team is a bit of fun and actually quite useful when you are stressed out about your SuperCoach team and just want to trade.

Traditionally, SuperCoach and AFL Dream Team were very similar, save for the scoring system. However, in 2013, AFL Dream Team made some significant changes and appears to have gone separate ways with SuperCoach. While SuperCoach has made some changes to the SuperCoach Rules, AFL Dream Team has also made additional changes. The main difference between the two popular AFL Fantasy competitions this year are:

1. SuperCoach now has a rolling lockout and AFL Dream Team does not the rolling lockout
    2. Supercoach now allows 30 trades per year, with a maximum of 2 per round and 3 during the MBRs and any unused trades can be used later on. AFL Dream Team, on the other hand, allows 2 trades per round (and 44 trades in total), however all unused trades in any given round are forfeited, if not used.

Floating Donut

While most would have read my Floating Donut article, note the Floating Donut does NOT apply to AFL Dream Team. Therefore, do NOT pick a non-playing player for the purposes of the Captain Loophole nor the Emergency Player Loophole.

Just a side comment, but I think it's great that there is No Rolling Lockout for AFL Dream Team, as it means we can fully focus on SuperCoach during the weekend games.

2 Trades Per Week

This is a quite tricky change of the Rules. Now if you don't trade then your 2 allocated trades for that round are forfeited. So all things being equal, you should trade every round even side trading premiums for one round due to the premium having an easier game. Furthermore, you can also trade in any premiums, mid-pricer or rookies, if they have a low breakeven for a particular round (ie two consecutive good scores, relative to their price).

Pinch Hitting

Also due to the fact we have 2 trades per round and if not used are forfeited, it also doesn't hurt to have a few pinch hitters such as St Kilda and/or Sydney players due to their easier first few games. Now remember AFL Dream Team is different to SuperCoach and therefore Stanton becomes a viable choice as he traditionally plays well in the first half of the year. Naturally, the Stanton selection really depends on the outcome of the Essendon debacle.

As previously mentioned, my SuperCoach skills are much better than my AFL Dream Team, thus please take my advice with a grain of salt.

I spend about 10% of my time on AFL Dream Team and the remainder on SuperCoach, so I don't expect a great outcome in AFL Dream Team. However, let's just say if my 26th Overall in AFL Dream Team 2011 was in any other year rather than the year, I won SuperCoach, I would of had a better crack of winning the car. However, I believe AFL Dream Team helped me win SuperCoach 2011 as when you are so-close to winning the $50,000, you are awfully stress out and it was great to try different things in AFL Dream Team.

So I strongly recommend all SuperCoach people to register in AFL Dream Team just for fun and to try different things.

Closer to the first official game in 2013, I'll provide a more detailed article on AFL Dream Team. This is a very very preliminary article on AFL Dream Team 2013. I have purposely not read any articles from other AFL Dream Team websites to allow me to write an article on AFL Dream Team without being effected by the views of others.

Remember that in SuperCoach there is this 3300 Rule, which means that all games are given ~3300 points to be allocated. However, in AFL Dream Team there is no limit and games are based on statistics.
    SuperCoach:  Winner (2011)  724 (2010)  188 (2009)  AFL Dream Team:  26 (2011) 

Sooner or later you're going to realize, just as I did, that there's a difference between knowing the path, and walking the path - Morpheus
    Let no man forget how menacing we are, we are lions! Do you know what's waiting beyond that beach?Immortality! Take it! It's Yours! - Achilles

Dual Brownlow Medalist
    AFL Club: Carlton

2 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Impromptu View Post
    Just a side comment, but I think it's great that there is No Rolling Lockout for AFL Dream Team, as it means we can fully focus on SuperCoach during the weekend games.
    The way these two games are going it seems like with dreamteam you can spend some time on it and essentially set and forget over the weekend. However Supercoach is the game you will have to play all weekend if you want to be in the serious aspect of winning. The rolling lockout is such a massive difference to traditionally setting your team up on the Friday and then for the most part wait to see what happens over the weekend.

As previously mentioned, my SuperCoach skills are much better than my AFL Dream Team, thus please take my advice with a grain of salt.

I spend about 10% of my time with my AFL Dream Team and the remainder on SuperCoach, so I don't expect a great outcome in AFL Dream Team. However, let's just say if my 26th Overall in 2011 was in any other year rather than the year, I won SuperCoach, let's just say I would of had a better crack of winning the car.
    So I strongly recommend all SuperCoach people to register in AFL Dream Team just for fun and to try different things.

So far I've not looked at dreamteam stats for players. I am completely into getting familar with the Supercoach scoring ranges of various players across the AFL. I found it really difficult last year not to get my wires crossed in my mind of getting some insight or pattern I see for a specific player and his scoring but not making a strong distinction in my mind that what was good for one game may not so good in the other. The seeds of an idea of whom to trade in and out I could not even say for sure whether the catalyst was some stats I saw from supercoach or dreamteam. As a result of that, this season I am trying to untangle the wire crossing in my mind for the two games and the rule changes helped make it easier not to confuse what is good for one game may not be so good in the other. All my efforts so far into stat research/homework have all been for supercoach. I am not going to get deep into dreamteam homework until right on the doorstep of the season starting so not to confuse myself. However I am determined to go at it with just as much effort as I will put into Supercoach. During the season, on the actual weekend days, I will only give thought on teams changes or effort to improve my supercoach team. I think I will spend closer to 50-50 between the 2 games than I did last year.
    They are now vastly different games so my approach will be quite different with both except for the main key of improving my team value for each team week by week.

Closer to the first official game in 2013, I'll provide a more detailed article on AFL Dream Team. This is a very very preliminary article on AFL Dream Team. I have purposely not read any articles from different AFL Dream Team sites to allow me to write an article on AFL Dream Team and not effected by the views of others.

Remember that in SuperCoach there is this 3300 Rule, which means that all games are given ~3300 points to be allocated. However, in AFL Dream Team there is no limit and games are based on statistics.

That 3300 rule is what drives the mechanics that underpins the whole supercoach system.
    One game is more about just getting the ball and increasing players point stats.
    The other is all about actual rankings and measuring the influence each player has on the result of a game of football.

Can't wait to read your articles when the season is about to start for both games.
    Last edited by OzRulesFootball; 08-02-2013 at 1:26am.
    Very happy Premiership coach of 2014 FDL Premiers the Port Phillip Bay Pirates.

Also the creator and gatekeeper of forum fantasy draft league games here.

Michael Tuck Club
    AFL Club: Richmond

0 Not allowed!

johno686's SuperCoach team
    And guys jump in the SCS league
    Invite Code: 621300

No rolling lock out helps a lot. I spend like 5% on DT on my team. Always give it a crack but never go good at it.
    SuperCoach:  722 (2014)  29 (2013)  474 (2012)  925 (2011) 

Come on, Barry, you're good at this stuff. Think of something.

Captain
    AFL Club: Geelong

0 Not allowed!

Nk29's SuperCoach team
    I spent about 5 minutes on my dreamteam lol. Probably not great :S Just decided that I could use it to do a loaded mids experiment which I really wanted to do in SC but didn't want to take the risk with so I have 7 premium mids in DT. That said I am looking forward to the two trades per week and the lack of rolling lockout (so researching captains comes in handy again )
    SuperCoach:  184 (2013)  7082 (2012) 

Michael Tuck Club
    AFL Club: Collingwood

1 Not allowed!

Courtesans's SuperCoach team
    After seeing what the weekly prizes are..a couple of tickets to the footy for best score..what an insult to players of DT that is! For time and effort, pathetic...
    SuperCoach:  1,894 (2013)  43 (2012) 

Rookie

0 Not allowed!

The weekly wins involve a lot of luck. For time and effort, they're paying $50,000 - that's not too shabby.

Captain
    AFL Club: Geelong

0 Not allowed!

Nk29's SuperCoach team
    Quote Originally Posted by sc2013 View Post
    The weekly wins involve a lot of luck. For time and effort, they're paying $50,000 - that's not too shabby.
    Still deserve a better prize than that...
    SuperCoach:  184 (2013)  7082 (2012) 

Debutant

0 Not allowed!

@sc2013 - Winning the weekly prize at any stage of the season, especially later in the season, will only be done by very good coaches. Luck to win, yes, but a lot of time & effort will have gone into every team that does win a round.

Essentially $50 for a weekly prize does make you wonder why they even have a weekly prize. And the same footy tickets for the eliminator? Why even have eliminator now, nobody will care.

Michael Tuck Club

0 Not allowed!

Courtesans's SuperCoach team
    Quote Originally Posted by 3rdMonkey View Post
    @sc2013 - Winning the weekly prize at any stage of the season, especially later in the season, will only be done by very good coaches. Luck to win, yes, but a lot of time & effort will have gone into every team that does win a round.

Essentially $50 for a weekly prize does make you wonder why they even have a weekly prize. And the same footy tickets for the eliminator? Why even have eliminator now, nobody will care.
    The blokes at DT TALK won't come out and say it, but damn they must be bleeding at the insult given to them, winning the golf comp. on a Sunday with 100 players gives a better reward! There are some contributers there that write some fantastic stuff, honestly now it is largely irrelevant with two trades each week.
    Last edited by Courtesans; 10-02-2013 at 9:34pm.
    SuperCoach:  1,894 (2013)  43 (2012) 

250 Games Club
    AFL Club: Essendon

0 Not allowed!

Bomber18's SuperCoach team
    I'm considering starting premiums/midpricers who have an easy first 4-5 and trade them out (as no cash cows are ready by round 4 and 5, too early for upgrades)

Dual Brownlow Medalist
    AFL Club: Carlton

0 Not allowed!

SuperCoach Scores is obviously focused on the Herald Sun SuperCoach competition, however as many people involved in SuperCoach also enjoy AFL Dream Team, an article on AFL Dream Team is appropriate. For me, AFL Dream Team is a bit of fun and actually quite useful when you are stressed out about your SuperCoach team and just want to trade.

Traditionally, SuperCoach and AFL Dream Team were very similar, save for the scoring system. However, in 2013, AFL Dream Team made some significant changes and appears to have gone separate ways with SuperCoach. While SuperCoach has made some changes to the SuperCoach Rules, AFL Dream Team has also made additional changes. The main difference between the two popular AFL Fantasy competitions this year are:

1. SuperCoach now has a rolling lockout and AFL Dream Team does not the rolling lockout
    2. Supercoach now allows 30 trades per year, with a maximum of 2 per round and 3 during the MBRs and any unused trades can be used later on. AFL Dream Team, on the other hand, allows 2 trades per round (and 44 trades in total), however all unused trades in any given round are forfeited, if not used.

Floating Donut

While most would have read my Floating Donut article, note the Floating Donut does NOT apply to AFL Dream Team. Therefore, do NOT pick a non-playing player for the purposes of the Captain Loophole nor the Emergency Player Loophole.

2 Trades Per Week

This is a quite tricky change of the Rules. Now if you don't trade then your 2 allocated trades for that round are forfeited. So all things being equal, you should trade every round even side trading premiums for one round due to the premium having an easier game. Furthermore, you can also trade in any premiums, mid-pricer or rookies, if they have a low breakeven for a particular round (ie two consecutive good scores, relative to their price).

Pinch Hitting

Also due to the fact we have 2 trades per round and if not used are forfeited, it also doesn't hurt to have a few pinch hitters such as St Kilda and/or Sydney players due to their easier first few games. Now remember AFL Dream Team is different to SuperCoach and therefore Stanton becomes a viable choice as he traditionally plays well in the first half of the year. Naturally, the Stanton selection really depends on the outcome of the Essendon debacle.

I spend about 10% of my time on AFL Dream Team and the remainder on SuperCoach, so I don't expect a great outcome in AFL Dream Team. However, let's just say if my 26th Overall in AFL Dream Team 2011 was in any other year rather than the year, I won SuperCoach, I would of had a better crack of winning the car. However, I believe AFL Dream Team helped me win SuperCoach 2011 as when you are so-close to winning the $50,000, you are awfully stress out and it was great to try different things in AFL Dream Team.

Closer to the first official game in 2013, I'll provide a more detailed article on AFL Dream Team. This is a very very preliminary article on AFL Dream Team 2013. I have purposely not read any articles from other AFL Dream Team websites to allow me to write an article on AFL Dream Team without being effected by the views of others.

Quote Originally Posted by OzRulesFootball View Post
    The way these two games are going it seems like with dreamteam you can spend some time on it and essentially set and forget over the weekend. However Supercoach is the game you will have to play all weekend if you want to be in the serious aspect of winning. The rolling lockout is such a massive difference to traditionally setting your team up on the Friday and then for the most part wait to see what happens over the weekend.

So far I've not looked at dreamteam stats for players. I am completely into getting familar with the Supercoach scoring ranges of various players across the AFL. I found it really difficult last year not to get my wires crossed in my mind of getting some insight or pattern I see for a specific player and his scoring but not making a strong distinction in my mind that what was good for one game may not so good in the other. The seeds of an idea of whom to trade in and out I could not even say for sure whether the catalyst was some stats I saw from supercoach or dreamteam. As a result of that, this season I am trying to untangle the wire crossing in my mind for the two games and the rule changes helped make it easier not to confuse what is good for one game may not be so good in the other. All my efforts so far into stat research/homework have all been for supercoach. I am not going to get deep into dreamteam homework until right on the doorstep of the season starting so not to confuse myself. However I am determined to go at it with just as much effort as I will put into Supercoach. During the season, on the actual weekend days, I will only give thought on teams changes or effort to improve my supercoach team. I think I will spend closer to 50-50 between the 2 games than I did last year.
    They are now vastly different games so my approach will be quite different with both except for the main key of improving my team value for each team week by week.

That 3300 rule is what drives the mechanics that underpins the whole supercoach system.
    One game is more about just getting the ball and increasing players point stats.
    The other is all about actual rankings and measuring the influence each player has on the result of a game of football.

Can't wait to read your articles when the season is about to start for both games.
    Would be interested to see in next few days if you found much time to have some decent work into your initial DT team for 2013. I never found the time before half this round has gone to really look into it as much as I hoped.
    Very happy Premiership coach of 2014 FDL Premiers the Port Phillip Bay Pirates.

Also the creator and gatekeeper of forum fantasy draft league games here.