SuperCoach Scores Twitter SuperCoach Scores Facebook
Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 209
  1. #21
    50 Games Club
    Join Date: 19-12-2012
    AFL Club: Hawthorn
    Posts: 503
    Likes: 189
    Rep Power: 1228


    1 Not allowed!

    Quote Originally Posted by Bomber18 View Post
    A man buys 10 dumbbells all of which are supposed to be 100kg. However, there was a mistake and one is 200kg. The man brings a set of scales out. How many combinations does the man need to find the 200kg dumbbell?


    Disclaimer: you won't be able to find the answer on google because it's from another language hahaha
    i'm going to go with 4 however it is possible to find it on the 3rd
    SuperCoach:  1014 (2017)  417 (2016)  4642 (2015)  933 (2014)  3000 (2013) 


  2. #22
    Rising Star Winner
    Join Date: 24-03-2015
    AFL Club: North Melbourne
    Posts: 377
    Likes: 288
    Rep Power: 834


    2 Not allowed!

    Quote Originally Posted by Bomber18 View Post
    A man buys 10 dumbbells all of which are supposed to be 100kg. However, there was a mistake and one is 200kg. The man brings a set of scales out. How many combinations does the man need to find the 200kg dumbbell?


    Disclaimer: you won't be able to find the answer on google because it's from another language hahaha
    Assuming there's no way to distinguish the 200kg dumbbell from 100kg ones by looking at them (maybe if it was 100.5kg instead ) then you can work it out in 3 combinations.

    That's assuming when you say "set of scales" you mean two pans side by side that are either balanced or unbalanced when something is in them.


    If the scales are actually a digital balance, and you give me a laser saw to cut up the dumbbells then I can do it in 1!
    SuperCoach:  12877 (2016)  8481 (2015) 


  3. #23
    Moderator
    Join Date: 27-01-2014
    AFL Club: North Melbourne
    Posts: 5,533
    Likes: 7,617
    Rep Power: 10893
    Moderator


    2 Not allowed!

    Quote Originally Posted by Bomber18 View Post
    A man buys 10 dumbbells all of which are supposed to be 100kg. However, there was a mistake and one is 200kg. The man brings a set of scales out. How many combinations does the man need to find the 200kg dumbbell?


    Disclaimer: you won't be able to find the answer on google because it's from another language hahaha
    5 v 5 on the first weighing

    The heaviest combination is split into a 2 v 2 weighing, if they are even then the odd one is the heavy dumbbell

    If the 2 v 2 is uneven then 1 v 1 of the heaviest side will distinguish the heavy dumbbell
    SuperCoach:  937 (2017)  5036 (2016)  AFL Dream Team:  989 (2017) 

    "God bless fantasy football. There are many things a man can do with his time. This... is better than those things." - Pete

    SCS Daily Fantasy Competitions - Details and Entry Form - Round 23 Open

    NFL Fantasy link

  4. #24
    All Australian Captain
    Join Date: 11-11-2012
    AFL Club: Essendon
    Posts: 9,544
    Likes: 6,054
    Rep Power: 11000


    1 Not allowed!

    Quote Originally Posted by HawksForever View Post
    i'm going to go with 4 however it is possible to find it on the 3rd
    Quote Originally Posted by Leroy View Post
    Assuming there's no way to distinguish the 200kg dumbbell from 100kg ones by looking at them (maybe if it was 100.5kg instead ) then you can work it out in 3 combinations.

    That's assuming when you say "set of scales" you mean two pans side by side that are either balanced or unbalanced when something is in them.


    If the scales are actually a digital balance, and you give me a laser saw to cut up the dumbbells then I can do it in 1!
    Quote Originally Posted by KLo30 View Post
    5 v 5 on the first weighing

    The heaviest combination is split into a 2 v 2 weighing, if they are even then the odd one is the heavy dumbbell

    If the 2 v 2 is uneven then 1 v 1 of the heaviest side will distinguish the heavy dumbbell
    You are all going to be so irritated with the answer..... hahahah


    Answer (highlight)
    No combinations, you'll figure out which one is the 200kg dumbbell when you try pick it up and put it on the scale
    Supercoach: 3775 (2017) 530 (2016) 1858 (2014) 805 (2013) 4220 (2011) 574 (2010) Real Dreamteam: 74 (2017) 1225 (2016) 335 (2015) 518 (2014)

  5. #25
    Statistician
    Join Date: 19-03-2012
    AFL Club: Melbourne
    Posts: 14,240
    Likes: 12,153
    Rep Power: 22456
    Moderator


    2 Not allowed!

    Quote Originally Posted by Bomber18 View Post
    A man buys 10 dumbbells all of which are supposed to be 100kg. However, there was a mistake and one is 200kg. The man brings a set of scales out. How many combinations does the man need to find the 200kg dumbbell?


    Disclaimer: you won't be able to find the answer on google because it's from another language hahaha
    None. He actually has to lift the dumbbells to put them on the scale, so he can feel which one is heavier when he lifts it!
    We're goin' to need a bigger boat...

  6. #26
    All Australian Captain
    Join Date: 11-11-2012
    AFL Club: Essendon
    Posts: 9,544
    Likes: 6,054
    Rep Power: 11000


    0 Not allowed!

    Quote Originally Posted by Rowsus View Post
    None. He actually has to lift the dumbbells to put them on the scale, so he can feel which one is heavier when he lifts it!
    Wow!! Exactly right!!

    (posted something similar in white text above)
    Supercoach: 3775 (2017) 530 (2016) 1858 (2014) 805 (2013) 4220 (2011) 574 (2010) Real Dreamteam: 74 (2017) 1225 (2016) 335 (2015) 518 (2014)

  7. #27
    Statistician
    Join Date: 19-03-2012
    AFL Club: Melbourne
    Posts: 14,240
    Likes: 12,153
    Rep Power: 22456
    Moderator


    1 Not allowed!

    Quote Originally Posted by Bomber18 View Post
    Wow!! Exactly right!!

    (posted something similar in white text above)
    I wondered what the "(highlight)" meant. I've just figured that part out now, too.
    We're goin' to need a bigger boat...

  8. #28
    All Australian Captain
    Join Date: 11-11-2012
    AFL Club: Essendon
    Posts: 9,544
    Likes: 6,054
    Rep Power: 11000


    0 Not allowed!

    Another

    Dorothy Phillis was found dead in her home with a gunshot wound to her head. On a table next to her, the police find a camcorder with a cassette tape inside. When they play the tape they hear Dorothy saying "I've had enough of life, I can't take it anymore" followed by a gun shot. The video then stops.

    The police laugh and say there is no way this is a suicide. Why?
    Supercoach: 3775 (2017) 530 (2016) 1858 (2014) 805 (2013) 4220 (2011) 574 (2010) Real Dreamteam: 74 (2017) 1225 (2016) 335 (2015) 518 (2014)

  9. #29
    200 Games Club
    Join Date: 25-03-2012
    AFL Club: Collingwood
    Posts: 1,136
    Likes: 1,431
    Rep Power: 5215


    0 Not allowed!

    Quote Originally Posted by Bomber18 View Post
    Another

    Dorothy Phillis was found dead in her home with a gunshot wound to her head. On a table next to her, the police find a camcorder with a cassette tape inside. When they play the tape they hear Dorothy saying "I've had enough of life, I can't take it anymore" followed by a gun shot. The video then stops.

    The police laugh and say there is no way this is a suicide. Why?
    Because the video was turned off.
    SuperCoach:  8377 (2016)  163 (2015)  6660 (2014)  DNP (2013)  10012 (2012)  AFL Dream Team:  6693 (2016)  5 (2015)  10578 (2014)  12705 (2013)  20297 (2012) 


  10. #30
    All Australian Captain
    Join Date: 11-11-2012
    AFL Club: Essendon
    Posts: 9,544
    Likes: 6,054
    Rep Power: 11000


    0 Not allowed!

    Quote Originally Posted by Pearcey47 View Post
    Because the video was turned off.
    Not quite. The video was on but Dorothy was not in the shot. Just her voice could be heard.
    Supercoach: 3775 (2017) 530 (2016) 1858 (2014) 805 (2013) 4220 (2011) 574 (2010) Real Dreamteam: 74 (2017) 1225 (2016) 335 (2015) 518 (2014)

  11. #31
    Statistician
    Join Date: 19-03-2012
    AFL Club: Melbourne
    Posts: 14,240
    Likes: 12,153
    Rep Power: 22456
    Moderator


    0 Not allowed!

    Quote Originally Posted by Bomber18 View Post
    Another

    Dorothy Phillis was found dead in her home with a gunshot wound to her head. On a table next to her, the police find a camcorder with a cassette tape inside. When they play the tape they hear Dorothy saying "I've had enough of life, I can't take it anymore" followed by a gun shot. The video then stops.

    The police laugh and say there is no way this is a suicide. Why?
    Because the murderer is seen firing the gun on the video tape?
    We're goin' to need a bigger boat...

  12. #32
    400 Games Club
    Join Date: 03-02-2014
    AFL Club: West Coast
    Posts: 1,857
    Likes: 1,184
    Rep Power: 3000


    0 Not allowed!

    Quote Originally Posted by Rowsus View Post
    None. He actually has to lift the dumbbells to put them on the scale, so he can feel which one is heavier when he lifts it!
    Speak for yourself. Both the 100kg and 200kg dumbbells are far too heavy for me to lift, thereby I would not be able to tell which is heavier by lifting them.
    SuperCoach:  7909 (2016)  10605 (2015)  5980 (2014)  9852 (2013)  21041 (2012) 


  13. #33
    400 Games Club
    Join Date: 03-02-2014
    AFL Club: West Coast
    Posts: 1,857
    Likes: 1,184
    Rep Power: 3000


    1 Not allowed!

    Quote Originally Posted by Bomber18 View Post
    Another

    Dorothy Phillis was found dead in her home with a gunshot wound to her head. On a table next to her, the police find a camcorder with a cassette tape inside. When they play the tape they hear Dorothy saying "I've had enough of life, I can't take it anymore" followed by a gun shot. The video then stops.

    The police laugh and say there is no way this is a suicide. Why?
    If Dorothy killed herself, who stopped the video?
    SuperCoach:  7909 (2016)  10605 (2015)  5980 (2014)  9852 (2013)  21041 (2012) 


  14. #34
    All Australian Captain
    Join Date: 11-11-2012
    AFL Club: Essendon
    Posts: 9,544
    Likes: 6,054
    Rep Power: 11000


    1 Not allowed!

    Quote Originally Posted by Eagling View Post
    If Dorothy killed herself, who stopped the video?
    Halfway there!

    Answer in white below (highlight)


    In addition to stopping the tape, the killer also rewinded it. If Dorothy killed herself, the tape would not have been rewinded to the start.
    Supercoach: 3775 (2017) 530 (2016) 1858 (2014) 805 (2013) 4220 (2011) 574 (2010) Real Dreamteam: 74 (2017) 1225 (2016) 335 (2015) 518 (2014)

  15. #35
    Rising Star Winner
    Join Date: 17-02-2017
    Posts: 213
    Likes: 96
    Rep Power: 728


    0 Not allowed!

    What is the only word in the English language which changes meaning when the first letter is changed from upper case to lower case or vice verca?
      Quote Quote

  16. #36
    Norm Smith Medalist
    Join Date: 24-04-2013
    AFL Club: Carlton
    Posts: 6,774
    Likes: 3,123
    Rep Power: 4400


    0 Not allowed!

    Quote Originally Posted by ThirdManUp View Post
    What is the only word in the English language which changes meaning when the first letter is changed from upper case to lower case or vice verca?
    Mass/mass?
    SuperCoach:  2,083 (2016)  88 (2015)  2,703 (2014)  380 (2013) 

    Best Supercoach Ranking
    Round 23 2015: 88 from 224,129 coaches

  17. #37
    Rising Star Winner
    Join Date: 17-02-2017
    Posts: 213
    Likes: 96
    Rep Power: 728


    0 Not allowed!

    Quote Originally Posted by Monya Meow Meow View Post
    Mass/mass?
    Wasn't what I was thinking of but I might have to concede that one and change original question to two words.
      Quote Quote

  18. #38
    150 Games Club
    Join Date: 17-06-2014
    AFL Club: Essendon
    Posts: 898
    Likes: 695
    Rep Power: 2731


    0 Not allowed!

    Quote Originally Posted by ThirdManUp View Post
    What is the only word in the English language which changes meaning when the first letter is changed from upper case to lower case or vice verca?
    trump .... Trump ....
    SuperCoach:  11391 (2016)  19549 (2015)  27751 (2014) 


  19. #39
    Rising Star Winner
    Join Date: 17-02-2017
    Posts: 213
    Likes: 96
    Rep Power: 728


    0 Not allowed!

    Quote Originally Posted by Diabolical View Post
    trump .... Trump ....
    Nope don't think Trump is a word. If you gonna use surnames there would be millions Ball/ball Bill/bill Bishop/bishop
      Quote Quote

  20. #40
    150 Games Club
    Join Date: 17-06-2014
    AFL Club: Essendon
    Posts: 898
    Likes: 695
    Rep Power: 2731


    0 Not allowed!

    Quote Originally Posted by ThirdManUp View Post
    Nope don't think Trump is a word. If you gonna use surnames there would be millions Ball/ball Bill/bill Bishop/bishop
    I was being facetious!
    I assume the correct answer is not a proper noun thus ruling out words like China/china too.
    SuperCoach:  11391 (2016)  19549 (2015)  27751 (2014) 


Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast


Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •