SuperCoach Scores Twitter SuperCoach Scores Facebook
Page 1 of 11 1234 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 214

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Statistician
    Join Date: 19-03-2012
    AFL Club: Melbourne
    Posts: 14,242
    Likes: 12,153
    Rep Power: 22457
    Moderator


    9 Not allowed!

    Just something to keep us occupied, as the SC season finishes soon, and we wait for the Big Bash season to begin.

    Please feel free to contribute anything, or in any way, you wish.
    Last edited by Rowsus; 15-08-2017 at 3:09am.
    We're goin' to need a bigger boat...

  2. #2
    Statistician
    Join Date: 19-03-2012
    AFL Club: Melbourne
    Posts: 14,242
    Likes: 12,153
    Rep Power: 22457
    Moderator


    7 Not allowed!

    Unusual Fact

    The East River in New York is only 26km long, but has 9 bridges over it, and 4 tunnels under it.

    The Amazon River is close to 7,000km long (varying sources quote 6,950-6,992km), yet has no bridges over it, or tunnels under it!
    Last edited by Rowsus; 14-08-2017 at 8:32pm.
    We're goin' to need a bigger boat...

  3. #3
    Moderator
    Join Date: 21-03-2012
    AFL Club: Essendon
    Posts: 7,214
    Likes: 9,580
    Rep Power: 11889
    Moderator


    1 Not allowed!

    Quote Originally Posted by Rowsus View Post
    Unusual Fact

    The East River in New York is only 26km long, but has 9 bridges over it, and 4 tunnels under it.

    The Amazon River is close to 7,000km long (varying sources quote 6,950-6,992km), yet has no bridges over it, or tunnels under it!
    From my small sample size I have been over a bridge and in a tunnel to get in and out of NY, and been on a ferry and on a small boat on the Amazon. So it must be true!

    I never knew that about the Amazon, most of the River would be in the rain forest with little civilisation, but it still surprises me!
    SuperCoach:  6722 (2016)  2918 (2015)  9183 (2014)  10450 (2013)  1371 (2012)  96 (2011)  74 (2010)  3366 (2009)  329 (2008)  11 (2007)  334 (2006) 


  4. #4
    50 Games Club
    Join Date: 02-04-2014
    Posts: 444
    Likes: 287
    Rep Power: 2104


    5 Not allowed!

    Unusual Fact

    Dim Sims, while asian inspired, are actually an Australian invention.

    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dim_sim

  5. #5
    Moderator
    Join Date: 08-03-2012
    AFL Club: Essendon
    Posts: 23,610
    Likes: 11,732
    Rep Power: 9228
    Moderator


    4 Not allowed!

    This is an oldie but a goodie. Surely someone here has struggled with this over the years?? (possibly me)

    Three men go to stay at a motel, and the man at the desk charges them $30.00 for a room. They split the cost ten dollars each. Later the manager tells the desk man that he overcharged the men, that the actual cost should have been $25.00. The manager gives the bellboy $5.00 and tells him to give it to the men.

    The bellboy, however, decides to cheat the men and pockets $2.00, giving each of the men only one dollar.

    Now each man has paid $9.00 to stay in the room and 3 x $9.00 = $27.00. The bellboy has pocketed $2.00. $27.00 + $2.00 = $29.00 - so where is the missing $1.00?
    SuperCoach:  1,895 (2017)  4,853 (2016)  5,202 (2015)  479 (2014)  7,684 (2013) 

    Highest overall ranking: 18th (Rd 18, 2014)

  6. #6
    Statistician
    Join Date: 19-03-2012
    AFL Club: Melbourne
    Posts: 14,242
    Likes: 12,153
    Rep Power: 22457
    Moderator


    4 Not allowed!

    Quote Originally Posted by IDIG View Post
    This is an oldie but a goodie. Surely someone here has struggled with this over the years?? (possibly me)

    Three men go to stay at a motel, and the man at the desk charges them $30.00 for a room. They split the cost ten dollars each. Later the manager tells the desk man that he overcharged the men, that the actual cost should have been $25.00. The manager gives the bellboy $5.00 and tells him to give it to the men.

    The bellboy, however, decides to cheat the men and pockets $2.00, giving each of the men only one dollar.

    Now each man has paid $9.00 to stay in the room and 3 x $9.00 = $27.00. The bellboy has pocketed $2.00. $27.00 + $2.00 = $29.00 - so where is the missing $1.00?
    This is what I call a "Mobius Strip" problem, but that's just my own nomenclature. You try to follow it round and round, but you always end up back where you started, without ever reaching the other side. Even when you know the answer, you can still find yourself saying "but......., how does it work again?"
    The problem is, that there are two ways to look at the money involved, let's call them "A" and "B", and you've taken a piece from view "A", and put it with a piece from view "B", and created what appears to be some sort of paradox. The problem lies in the fact, that once you have read it like IDIG has presented it, it's hard to separate them back in to their right views again.

    View "A"
    There is $30 in play, The Hotel has $25, the guests have $3, and the bellboy has $2.

    View "B"
    The guests have paid $27, of which The Hotel has $25, and the bellboy has $2.

    The confusion totally stems from the person telling the story borrowing a little from view "A", and a little from view "B". This is totally deliberate, of course.

    The 3 guests have paid $27 in total, and the bellboy has $2. We started with $30, so where is the missing $1?

    There is no missing $1, you've just mixed and matched your views.

    When I first heard this riddle/problem many years ago, I knew it was wrong, but it ran round and round in my head. Even when I knew the answer, it still would spin around my heads sometimes!

    It's a good one, well done IDIG!
    We're goin' to need a bigger boat...

  7. #7
    Best and Fairest
    Join Date: 27-01-2014
    AFL Club: Fremantle
    Posts: 2,775
    Likes: 2,772
    Rep Power: 7714


    6 Not allowed!

    All 4 winners of this years mens golf majors have 6 letters in their first and last names.
    SuperCoach:  8293 (2017)  10922 (2016)  9214 (2015)  653 (2014) 

    I miss the old colours.

  8. #8
    Moderator
    Join Date: 13-09-2014
    AFL Club: North Melbourne
    Posts: 6,320
    Likes: 7,993
    Rep Power: 12380
    Moderator


    2 Not allowed!

    Quote Originally Posted by freowho View Post
    All 4 winners of this years mens golf majors have 6 letters in their first and last names.
    That is the most obscure and unusual of all facts...great get!

    Just to add to this, all winners of golf majors in 2016 were first time major winner as well.
    SuperCoach:  15,799 (2016)  1,033 (2015)  6,367 (2014)  8,442 (2013)  AFL Dream Team:  2,706 (2016) 

    BBL|05 Major Prize Winner
    BBL|06 Member of #1 Ranked League

  9. #9
    Statistician
    Join Date: 19-03-2012
    AFL Club: Melbourne
    Posts: 14,242
    Likes: 12,153
    Rep Power: 22457
    Moderator


    1 Not allowed!

    Unusual Fact

    Most people realise Pluto is small, but not many people know that it is actually smaller than Earth's moon!
    Pluto has a diameter of 2,374km, and the moon has a diameter of 3,474km.
    At first glance, this appears a smallish difference, the moons diameter is actually 46% greater than Pluto's.
    This becomes even more startling when you look at their respective volumes.
    The moon would fit into the Earth close enough to 50 times, while Pluto would fit into the Earth 153 times!
    Pluto is just under 1/3 the volume of Earth's moon!


    The largest moon in the Solar System is Ganymede, one of Jupiters 67 moons!. It's diameter is 5,268km, making it just a little bigger than Mercury, the 2nd smallest planet, at 4,879km. Earth's diameter is 12,756km.
    Last edited by Rowsus; 15-08-2017 at 4:50am.
    We're goin' to need a bigger boat...

  10. #10
    400 Games Club
    Join Date: 03-02-2014
    AFL Club: West Coast
    Posts: 1,857
    Likes: 1,184
    Rep Power: 3000


    3 Not allowed!

    Quote Originally Posted by Rowsus View Post
    Unusual Fact

    Most people realise Pluto is small, but not many people know that it is actually smaller than Earth's moon!
    Pluto has a diameter of 2,374km, and the moon has a diameter of 3,474km.
    At first glance, this appears a smallish difference, the moons diameter is actually 46% greater than Pluto's.
    This becomes even more startling when you look at their respective volumes.
    The moon would fit into the Earth close enough to 50 times, while Pluto would fit into the Earth 153 times!
    Pluto is just under 1/3 the volume of Earth's moon!


    The largest moon in the Solar System is Ganymede, one of Jupiters 67 moons!. It's diameter is 5,268km, making it just a little bigger than Mercury, the 2nd smallest planet, at 4,879km. Earth's diameter is 12,756km.
    Pluto's moon Charon is the largest satellite relative to a planet or minor planet in the solar system. In fact, Charon is so large that it does not orbit around Pluto, rather, Pluto and Charon orbit around a point between themselves.
    SuperCoach:  7909 (2016)  10605 (2015)  5980 (2014)  9852 (2013)  21041 (2012) 


  11. #11
    All Australian Captain
    Join Date: 11-11-2012
    AFL Club: Essendon
    Posts: 9,547
    Likes: 6,055
    Rep Power: 11000


    0 Not allowed!

    Quote Originally Posted by Rowsus View Post
    Unusual Fact

    Most people realise Pluto is small, but not many people know that it is actually smaller than Earth's moon!
    Pluto has a diameter of 2,374km, and the moon has a diameter of 3,474km.
    At first glance, this appears a smallish difference, the moons diameter is actually 46% greater than Pluto's.
    This becomes even more startling when you look at their respective volumes.
    The moon would fit into the Earth close enough to 50 times, while Pluto would fit into the Earth 153 times!
    Pluto is just under 1/3 the volume of Earth's moon!


    The largest moon in the Solar System is Ganymede, one of Jupiters 67 moons!. It's diameter is 5,268km, making it just a little bigger than Mercury, the 2nd smallest planet, at 4,879km. Earth's diameter is 12,756km.
    Quote Originally Posted by Eagling View Post
    Pluto's moon Charon is the largest satellite relative to a planet or minor planet in the solar system. In fact, Charon is so large that it does not orbit around Pluto, rather, Pluto and Charon orbit around a point between themselves.
    The things you learn on a SC site!
    Supercoach: 3775 (2017) 530 (2016) 1858 (2014) 805 (2013) 4220 (2011) 574 (2010) Real Dreamteam: 74 (2017) 1225 (2016) 335 (2015) 518 (2014)

  12. #12
    50 Games Club
    Join Date: 25-04-2013
    AFL Club: Richmond
    Posts: 525
    Likes: 352
    Rep Power: 1275


    1 Not allowed!

    this is just something i notice when watching footy, it's not a sequence per se, but there is a pattern...

    can you fill in the values of a,b,c, and d?

    2,a,24,3,9,b,c,8,32,d,d,49

    and if so are there any more numbers in this set you can think of? [i can't :P]
    SuperCoach:  37,086 (2016)  7,145 (2015)  17,652 (2014)  70k (2013) 


  13. #13
    50 Games Club
    Join Date: 19-12-2012
    AFL Club: Hawthorn
    Posts: 503
    Likes: 189
    Rep Power: 1228


    1 Not allowed!

    Quote Originally Posted by psykro View Post
    this is just something i notice when watching footy, it's not a sequence per se, but there is a pattern...

    can you fill in the values of a,b,c, and d?

    2,a,24,3,9,b,c,8,32,d,d,49

    and if so are there any more numbers in this set you can think of? [i can't :P]
    a = 12
    b = 27
    c = 4
    d = 7
    SuperCoach:  1014 (2017)  417 (2016)  4642 (2015)  933 (2014)  3000 (2013) 


  14. #14
    50 Games Club
    Join Date: 25-04-2013
    AFL Club: Richmond
    Posts: 525
    Likes: 352
    Rep Power: 1275


    0 Not allowed!

    Quote Originally Posted by HawksForever View Post
    a = 12
    b = 27
    c = 4
    d = 7
    spot on HF!

    the numbers work in groups of three, can you say what each of these groups of three have in common?
    SuperCoach:  37,086 (2016)  7,145 (2015)  17,652 (2014)  70k (2013) 


  15. #15
    50 Games Club
    Join Date: 19-12-2012
    AFL Club: Hawthorn
    Posts: 503
    Likes: 189
    Rep Power: 1228


    2 Not allowed!

    Quote Originally Posted by psykro View Post
    spot on HF!

    the numbers work in groups of three, can you say what each of these groups of three have in common?
    they multiply correctly and are also a valid footy score
    SuperCoach:  1014 (2017)  417 (2016)  4642 (2015)  933 (2014)  3000 (2013) 


  16. #16
    50 Games Club
    Join Date: 25-04-2013
    AFL Club: Richmond
    Posts: 525
    Likes: 352
    Rep Power: 1275


    0 Not allowed!

    Quote Originally Posted by HawksForever View Post
    they multiply correctly and are also a valid footy score
    just curious HF is this something you've noticed before cos you got it pretty damn quick!
    SuperCoach:  37,086 (2016)  7,145 (2015)  17,652 (2014)  70k (2013) 


  17. #17
    Michael Tuck Club
    Join Date: 25-07-2012
    AFL Club: Collingwood
    Posts: 2,440
    Likes: 863
    Rep Power: 2328


    7 Not allowed!

    Strange coincidences & Amazing Facts between Abraham Lincoln and John F Kennedy

    Abraham Lincoln was elected to Congress in 1846.
    John F. Kennedy was elected to Congress in 1946.

    Abraham Lincoln was elected President in 1860.
    John F. Kennedy was elected President in 1960.

    The names Lincoln and Kennedy each contain seven letters.

    Both were particularly concerned with civil rights.

    Both of their wives lost their children while living in the White House.

    Both Presidents were shot on a Friday.

    Both were shot in the head.

    Both were shot with one bullet.

    Both were rumored to be killed in a conspiracy.Neither was confirmed to be a conspiracy.

    Lincoln was shot in the Ford Theater.
    Kennedy was shot in a card made by the Ford Motor Company (a Lincoln no less)

    Lincoln's secretary was named Kennedy.
    Kennedy's secretary was named Lincoln.

    Both were assassinated by Southerners.

    Both were succeeded by Southerners.

    Both successors were named Johnson.

    Andrew Johnson, who succeeded Lincoln, was born in 1808.
    Lyndon Johnson, who succeeded Kennedy, was born in 1908.

    Their first names both contain six letters.

    John Wilkes Booth, who assassinated Lincoln, was born in 1839.
    Lee Harvey Oswald, who assassinated Kennedy, was born in 1939.

    Both assassins were known by their three names.

    Both names comprise fifteen letters.

    Booth ran from the theater and was caught in a warehouse.
    Oswald ran from a warehouse and was caught in a theater.

    Both assassins were assassinated before their trials.

    The only complete filming of Kennedy's assasination was shot by Abraham Zapruder.
    The only complete account of Lincoln's assasination was written by John Zelfindorfer.

    A week before Lincoln was shot, he was with friends in Monroe, Maryland.
    A week before Kennedy was shot, he was with his friend Marilyn Monroe.

    Lincoln's last child, Tad, had his funeral held on July 16, 1871. Later he was exhumed and moved to a different grave site.
    Kennedy's son JFK Jr. was lost at sea on July 16, 1999. Later he was found, brought up, and then re-burried at sea.

  18. #18
    All Australian Captain
    Join Date: 11-11-2012
    AFL Club: Essendon
    Posts: 9,547
    Likes: 6,055
    Rep Power: 11000


    1 Not allowed!

    A man buys 10 dumbbells all of which are supposed to be 100kg. However, there was a mistake and one is 200kg. The man brings a set of scales out. How many combinations does the man need to find the 200kg dumbbell?


    Disclaimer: you won't be able to find the answer on google because it's from another language hahaha
    Supercoach: 3775 (2017) 530 (2016) 1858 (2014) 805 (2013) 4220 (2011) 574 (2010) Real Dreamteam: 74 (2017) 1225 (2016) 335 (2015) 518 (2014)

  19. #19
    Deputy Vice Captain
    Join Date: 08-01-2014
    AFL Club: Melbourne
    Posts: 3,929
    Likes: 2,566
    Rep Power: 4507


    0 Not allowed!

    Quote Originally Posted by Bomber18 View Post
    A man buys 10 dumbbells all of which are supposed to be 100kg. However, there was a mistake and one is 200kg. The man brings a set of scales out. How many combinations does the man need to find the 200kg dumbbell?


    Disclaimer: you won't be able to find the answer on google because it's from another language hahaha
    Wouldn't the 200gk dumbbell just look twice as big as all the other ones?
    Supercoach: 5380 (2017) 6335 (2016) 736 (2015) 5723 & 188 finals (2014) 31696 (2013)
    Shake-and-Bake
    I Wanna Go Fast

  20. #20
    All Australian Captain
    Join Date: 11-11-2012
    AFL Club: Essendon
    Posts: 9,547
    Likes: 6,055
    Rep Power: 11000


    0 Not allowed!

    Quote Originally Posted by Ricky Bobby View Post
    Wouldn't the 200gk dumbbell just look twice as big as all the other ones?
    Assume they all look identical.
    Supercoach: 3775 (2017) 530 (2016) 1858 (2014) 805 (2013) 4220 (2011) 574 (2010) Real Dreamteam: 74 (2017) 1225 (2016) 335 (2015) 518 (2014)

Page 1 of 11 1234 ... LastLast


Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •