Position 2024: DEFENDER DISCUSSION

AFL Club
Richmond
Agree with above, although I’m leaning towards Ryan over Sicily… A better bye, a similar role and a little less punchable
I had Ryan in as the Freo backs like to hold on to the ball with a high possession game, it's the reason I've gone with Chapman as well. Trouble is that I'd end up with 3 Freo players in defence because Young seems like a no brainer pick, so the Sicdawg comes in.

AFL Club
Richmond
SC defence.png

Just scrolling through a few teams and this looks like it'll be very cookie cutter, as some have mentioned it's a little risky because a lot of those players have an ordinary injury history, hence the value I suppose.

I'm also running with Amon in the mids who's a monty to get defence status should he continue with the role that's been earmarked all preseason, hopefully it somewhat exacerbates the risky nature of the picks.

AFL Club
Adelaide
I had Ryan in as the Freo backs like to hold on to the ball with a high possession game, it's the reason I've gone with Chapman as well. Trouble is that I'd end up with 3 Freo players in defence because Young seems like a no brainer pick, so the Sicdawg comes in.
I'm running with the 3 Freo boys to begin with for those exact reasons:

1706063262137.png

I'm currently leaving Naicos out with the view of bringing him in at round 6. This is either a ridiculous gamble or a Rain Man level of SC brilliance (most likely the former). I really, really hate the Williams pick and I'm just hoping he gives me 5 rounds of OK to good scoring to get me Naicos.

I'm loving the low price defenders this year, so many interesting picks to choose from and I'm sure my rooks will change between now and R0.

AFL Club
Richmond
I'm running with the 3 Freo boys to begin with for those exact reasons:

View attachment 66990

I'm currently leaving Naicos out with the view of bringing him in at round 6. This is either a ridiculous gamble or a Rain Man level of SC brilliance (most likely the former). I really, really hate the Williams pick and I'm just hoping he gives me 5 rounds of OK to good scoring to get me Naicos.

I'm loving the low price defenders this year, so many interesting picks to choose from and I'm sure my rooks will change between now and R0.
I might have to revisit this as one of the reasons for not having Ryan was losing too many players on the rnd 13 bye, Chapman should be gone by then which makes it easier to run with Ryan.

Of course there's Serong and Brayshaw to consider (I have Brayshaw) I had both last year and was happy with the output. Then there's the possibility of Jackson and some are even looking at Fyfe:censored: (not me)

AFL Club
Essendon
My thoughts. I also hated watching Sinclair running around last year without him in my team 😥
Keep in mind, last year Sinclair averaged 110 at Marvel, and 98 away from Marvel (which included a 160 at Giants Stadium, showing how bad the rest were).
Saints only have 5 games at Marvel in the first 14, then after the bye, he has 8 of 9 at Marvel.

I'll be planning to bring him in after the bye.

AFL Club
Collingwood
The two big dogs lead the way. Just love the intercept, and the mark / kick with the switch of play.

Sheezel, well we all know what #35 did last year. If he gets the same role lookout.Young looking at full time mid this year, confident he can move the needle to 100+

Williams, will work his way into the HB line in tandem with Saad. At this price if he is fit he starts. Then the Rooks .

Cannot Squeeze Curtain in at this Stage. But could find his way into the midfield if I like what I see during the trail games.

Attachments

Lots of people keen on Heath Chapman, I confess to knowing next to nothing about him. Feel like I’m missing something, what’s the appeal?

AFL Club
Essendon
Lots of people keen on Heath Chapman, I confess to knowing next to nothing about him. Feel like I’m missing something, what’s the appeal?
I had him in 2022 when he cost $275k, he made 150k by round 10. Averaged 83 before I traded him out after injury. I'm happy to go again this year for a cheaper starting price

Career avg in non subbed matches of 71.13 from 23 matches and is priced around a 45 avg.
I had him in 2022 when he cost $275k, he made 150k by round 10. Averaged 83 before I traded him out after injury. I'm happy to go again this year for a cheaper starting price
Love your work, thanks legends.

With sub affected games the pick makes a lot more sense now, I was just looking at historical averages

AFL Club
Richmond
Reckon like Sinclair he’s an upgrade target for their second half marvel run
Will improve though you’d think with natural progression
90-95 on the cards?

Daicos 120
Sicily Stewart 110-115
Sinclair Ryan 100-110
can raffle that d6 spot amongst a heap of players.
Young as everyone is starting him is probably what we’ll all end up trying to have as our final 6 by the end of the year!

AFL Club
Geelong
Question mark for me is if the role is going to be the same, Freos defence has evolved a fair bit in the 18 or so months hes hardly played, just concerned he ends up with a bit of a nothing role, can't see how hed be a prime distributor and they have better intercept defenders already cemented in the side.

AFL Club
West Coast
Reckon like Sinclair he’s an upgrade target for their second half marvel run
Will improve though you’d think with natural progression
90-95 on the cards?

Daicos 120
Sicily Stewart 110-115
Sinclair Ryan 100-110
can raffle that d6 spot amongst a heap of players.
Young as everyone is starting him is probably what we’ll all end up trying to have as our final 6 by the end of the year!
Was pretty hot on him at the end of last season and early this preseason. Have now cooled significantly on him. It’s just such a tricky price point. You can’t use him as a stepping stone and it’s hard to see him break into that top 6. Reckon he’ll go close though.

And as you mentioned, his fixture isn’t great to start the season. Very similar to Sinclair in that he goes much better at Marvel.