Discussion 2024 Round 3: Teams & In Game Discussion

AFL Club
Sydney
Not sure what all the fuss is about

Currently 1 game off 3rd (and a load of %) 😉

Amazing what happens when we get back to the basics of pressure , tackling and work rate (the deficiencies are not as noticeable)

Hate to be in the Lions shoes now , imagine starting a season 0-3 , the media will go into meltdown.

Been a massive admirer of how they have been playing over the last 4-5 years , be a massive shame if they can't right what's wrong and challenge for the flag again.

1/112

Powell , McKercher , Sheezel

Jackson , Sharp (E)
Think your defence stood up a lot better last night than previous weeks. Brisbane were bereft of ideas and allowed Collingwood’s defence to dictate how the ball was entering their 50.

Noticed in the Sydney game that we kind of out-Collingwood’d you. Goals over the back, hard running and high intensity. That was something I got used to seeing plenty from your mob in recent history. Once you’re back to creating those types of chances you’ll be back to where you need to be to compete week to week.

AFL Club
Collingwood
Yeah I think you're just as well going a late stage Dangerfield. Capable of the odd good score but very up and down and likely to get injured any minute now.

But... If they keep giving us the early game, and there's some cash to splash later in the year, he could be a sneaky M9 to take an early look at each round. He's copping more attention than he's faced at the moment and getting no protection from the umps. Meanwhile, we've been losing games so pretty much every coach is going to try and cool him. 9 clangers last night including 3FAs, he's running at 5.5 per game. If he eliminates 6 of those and gets effective kicks, he tonnes up off 18 possessions.

So I think if one or more of the following happens:
1. He suddenly learns how to handle a tag at age 28
2. The club sends a video of him getting held at every stoppage for no protection and pinged for every scrag back and the umps overreact
3. The club starts winning games with him being tagged, showing that it isn't the way to beat us

... then I reckon he might be a useful supersub at a cheap price. We've gotta do the bread and butter first though, bringing in actual premiums until the squad is full yeah? Though... assuming he looked like turning it around, at what price do you say yes to JDG? I'd want very low 400s.

We got number 3 done last night with him getting only the 18 touches, admittedly against a struggling Brisbane. Next week, the Hawks will probably try breaking Naicos's leg again ala their coach and Nat Fyfe so perhaps that will give Jordy a bit of room to dominate. If he doesn't and we still win, then coaches will have to start putting their limited resources into other players
Love your insights and posts 🤗

I am surprised Fly hasn't thrown him forward more to try and lose the tag , I am sure he and Elliott used to rotate in the past , and at least give us someone who might provide a contested mark inside F50 , or at the very least offer a target.

Last edited:
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Bold keeping Hayden Young. Good luck.
I was a Young owner for the last 8 weeks last year, found that he did his best work in the pseudo run with roles. Im not sure he has the mid craft to position himself well at stoppage yet so I reckon following around someone who does it well was better for his scoring. Very interested to see how it plays out.

AFL Club
Collingwood
Think your defence stood up a lot better last night than previous weeks. Brisbane were bereft of ideas and allowed Collingwood’s defence to dictate how the ball was entering their 50.

Noticed in the Sydney game that we kind of out-Collingwood’d you. Goals over the back, hard running and high intensity. That was something I got used to seeing plenty from your mob in recent history. Once you’re back to creating those types of chances you’ll be back to where you need to be to compete week to week.
We are a structure and system based team (like many) but have major skill deficiencies.

If , when we don't harass , pressure , tackle , work together we can look very ordinary.

Sydney have probably been the best 2 way midfield running side over the last 2 decades.

We have a very high profile mid who I have always questioned his defensive running , but I guess that is why you have the "worker bees" in your team.

Turnovers from defence have been killing us but that could be players up the ground not presenting in the right areas as well as execution/skill

I don't know Darcy Moore , but listening to him in the documentary I am extremely surprised he didn't retire.

Murphy is a huge loss , although Frampton has been good in his games (so far)

Looks like Howe might have got a rocket during the week.

Daicos needs to play behind the ball and then let the defensive winger sweep behind him.

Last night probably restores the faith and emphasis the fact that when our pressure is on the scoreboard takes care of itself.

Think the Hawks beat us last season so once again we need to be switched on from the start.

From the outside , Sidebottom being dropped & Crisp being starting sub indicates to me at least , that nice guy Fly might have become angry Fly during the week.

Floreat Pica

Tamuhawk

Leadership Group
AFL Club
Hawthorn

Darkie

Leadership Group
AFL Club
Collingwood
Just to confirm - do emergencies function as normal in a best 18 round, or is something different?

I thought I saw some discussion indicating it was different/maybe more nuanced.

I’m planning to use loops for the Carlton and North game … just want to be sure they will be acccessible.

Diabolical

Leadership Group
AFL Club
Essendon
Just to confirm - do emergencies function as normal in a best 18 round, or is something different?

I thought I saw some discussion indicating it was different/maybe more nuanced.

I’m planning to use loops for the Carlton and North game … just want to be sure they will be acccessible.
They work as normal to get your 22 players on ground, then best 18 comes from that.