News Herald Sun SuperCoach Articles

SuperCoach 2024: Experts reveal their trades before round 2
Who replaces Josh Gibcus, and which value players on the bubble need to come in this week? See what moves our experts are making.
Al Paton

@al_superfooty

5 min read
March 21, 2024 - 11:25AM
News Corp Australia Sports Newsroom

Keen to make some moves after the first full round of the AFL season? SuperCoach guru Al Paton is here with the best advice on which players to pick up, keep, or move on.

One round into the season and there are already big choices to make.
Almost 100,000 coaches are looking for a replacement for injured Tiger Josh Gibcus, but fixing problems in other parts of the field could be a higher priority.
Round 2 is the first of four early bye rounds, which adds another layer of strategy to this week’s trade calls.
Players who featured in opening round are on the bubble a week earlier than usual, so if you want a value pick like Jack Billings or a rookie like Tom Berry who are about to shoot up in price, this is the week to pounce.
Coaches are also questioning mid-price starters Zac Fisher and Nic Martin.
They have played only one game so we can wait one more week to make a call before their price moves – unless they are your path to Billings, a Gibcus replacement or a runaway train like Isaac Heeney.
Scroll down to see what are our experts are doing this week.

AL PATON
OUT: Josh Gibcus, Zac Fisher, Buku Khamis
IN: Massimo D’Ambrosio, Nat Fyfe, Tom Berry

Tricky week where I could do nothing or use a boost. You could sit Gibcus on the bench this week given it’s Best 18 scoring this week but with Zach Reid also in my backline I’m going to have to find some cheap replacements soon.
Fisher should rebound from his 50-point return in round 1 but I don’t think he’ll be a keeper, so I’m prepared to sacrifice him to free up the cash to get Gibcus to Hawk recruit Massimo D’Ambrosio. He’s unlikely to score 122 too often but I can’t see anyone who is likely to overtake him as the No.1 Gibcus trade next week, so why not do it now to give myself an extra number this round and clear space for other moves next week.
The trade I’m torn on is Fisher’s replacement. Jack Billings, Nat Fyfe and Riley Bonner are all on my radar and all would free up a similar amount of cash. Billings is on the bubble after scoring 119, but the Bulldogs paid him absolutely no respect (15 uncontested marks) – will he get that freedom again? Fyfe’s role looks fantastic – he attended 78 per cent of centre bounces in round 1 – plus he faces North Melbourne this week and he doesn’t have an early bye. I’ve chopped between the pair all week and Fyfe is just ahead ... for now. Bonner is likely to come in next week if he scores well again with Jack Sinclair in the team.
The third trade is a bit of a luxury but Berry can provide an instant cash hit – a projected score of 52 this week will result in a $58k price jump next week. Hopefully the Dogs show him as much respect as they did to Billings.

THE PHANTOM
OUT: Connor Budarick
IN: Massimo D’Ambrosio

It’s hard to be sold on Massimo completely after one game but after Budarick’s 17, it’s hard to pass up the $80k profit and looming cash injection. Budarick won’t have to play lockdown on Josh Rachele in the pouring rain every week, but he’s not going to be making much early cash, either.
I’m tempted to go early on Riley Bonner – from Jackson Mead – with that profit, but the smart play is to wait and see how he goes with the return of Jack Sinclair on Thursday night. But that temptation could prove too much before the bounce.

TIM MICHELL
OUT: Nic Martin, Charlie Lazzaro, Josh Gibcus
IN: Isaac Heeney, Jack Carroll, Jack Billings

Unlike The Phantom, who has flagged he’s willing to wait a week and pay more for Billings, I’m not sure I would be interested if he’s $40k more next week. Burning three trades after one round isn’t ideal, but I think each of these trades are necessary. I’ve got no doubt Martin will score well this week without Redman, but I’m worried about his ball use and long-term scoring when Ridley, Redman and Andy McGrath are in the side. Plus, he’s my only avenue to Isaac Heeney who could have scored 180 last week if he kicked straight. Carroll being on a bye means I can use him for a midfield loop and try and get the best scores possible into my best 18. It will also save me a trade next week when I am scrambling to get Massimo D’Ambrosio, Oli Dempsey, Marty Hore and any other targets this weekend who emerge into three trades. It does mean missing out on Caleb Windsor though...

DAN BATTEN
NO TRADES
Yep, a boring and conservative approach, but hear me out. Holding fire will give me another look at Zac Fisher and Nic Martin along with potential targets Riley Bonner, Massimo D’Ambrosio and Jack Billings. The big watch will be on Bonner as I may only be able to choose between one of Bonner and Billings before round three. Both Fisher and Martin were in a similar boat in round one, finding enough of the footy but using it poorly. If Bonner stinks it up tonight, I’ll likely end up pulling the trigger on Fisher to Billings this week to save that extra bit of cash.

MAX STAINKAMPH
IN: Caleb Windsor, Kallan Dawson
OUT: Cam Mackenzie, Josh Gibcus

At time of writing, I’m trying to play it really conservative with trades – which I think I can afford to do after a 2298 in round 1 (all praise Jesse Hogan and Caleb Serong). Like every year I think we absolutely need to nail the rookies, because if you stuff your cash generation up then you’ve hamstrung yourself for the rest of the season, so that’s my priority this week and next week.
Caleb Windsor seems a good shout from the Dees as they love him and he looks to be reasonably consistent on that wing. Kallan Dawson is the option no one’s talking down back who looked relatively solid in round 1 with a 68, and despite being 30k more than Gibcus is as close to a like-for-like as we’re going to get – I have to trade in a defender and with Charle Dean dropped and Bodhi Uwland not sparking joy, at this stage I’m going Dawson, with Zach Reid to Marty Hore on the cards next week.
I do really want Isaac Heeney though, and the only way to get him is to flick Nic Martin. Trading out a guy after one week goes against every fibre of my being, and after running out of trades and boosts early last year I really want to conserve them this year ... but I’m not known for my self-control when splurging on sweet treats, and Heeney is the sweetest treat going around. Maybe I indulge, just this once. What harm can it do? I’ll show restraint on trades next week. Or maybe the week after.

AFL Club
West Coast
SuperCoach AFL 2024: Which rookies to buy, hold and sell for round 3
This is the week to nail your rookie picks to set up a year of SuperCoach success. Who are the must-have cheapies, and who isn’t going to cut it in the elite 2024 rookie crop?
Al Paton

@al_superfooty

4 min read
March 26, 2024 - 11:56AM

After an early opening last week, the SuperCoach stock market is in full swing heading into round 3.

Players from the six teams that featured in opening round have experienced one price rise already, now the rest of the competition – including Carlton and Brisbane, coming off their bye last round – are about to follow suit.
That means trading now to get the right rookies is crucial – and we have a lot more information to base our decisions on.
So, which cheapies do you need to get before round 3 – and who can we pass on?

Here are our full rankings.

MUST-HAVES
1. Colby McKercher (MID) $202,800 | Av: 92 | Break Even: -68
2. Ryley Sanders (MID) $184,800 | Av: 71 | Break Even: -37
3. Matt Roberts (MID) $225,800 | Av: 80 | Break Even: -35
4. Darcy Wilson (MID-FWD) $130,800 | Av: 63 | Break Even: -51
5. Harley Reid (MID-FWD) $207,300 | Av: 71 | Break Even: -24
6. Blake Howes (DEF) $194,100 | Av: 74 | Break Even: -22

Most coaches have this super six but if you’re missing one (or more), fix that before you do anything else this week.
McKercher is on track to be the best cash cow of the season and Sanders showed what he can do when given a full game with a score of 99 against the Suns. Start both on the field every week. Ideally get Roberts on as well; he has already jumped $69,000 in value but still has a negative Break Even and is worth using a trade on this week.
The same goes for Howes, who in any other season would be too expensive now after his first price rise but has to be considered given the severe lack of cheap defenders who aren’t on their team’s injury list.
All these guys will make a lot of money (McKercher could be worth $300,000 in a few weeks) but we won’t be looking to trade them out for a while as they continue to put up strong scores for our sides.

Didn’t start with Colby McKercher? Fix that now! Picture: Michael Klein

ROUND 3 TARGETS
1. Jack Carroll (MID) $123,900 | Av: 70 | Break Even: -69
2 Toby Pink (DEF) $123,900 | Av: 51 | Break Even: -32
3. Oliver Dempsey (FWD) $148,400 | Av: 78 | Break Even: -71
4. Marty Hore (DEF) $123,900 | Av: 36 | Break Even: -2
5 Jeremy Sharp (MID) $123,900 | Av: 67 | Break Even: -63
6. Jackson Mead (MID-FWD) $199,800 | Av: 62 | Break Even: -11

Carroll could have one of the best roles of any rookie this season, starting at 52 per cent of centre bounces for the Blues in round 1 after scoring 60 points in a quarter in opening round (after starting as the sub). With Sam Walsh is listed as indefinite on Carlton’s injury list, Carroll should continue to get opportunities in the middle, where he can get his hands on the ball and score lots of SuperCoach points – and make us lots of money (a projected score of 43 against the Roos this week would net a $51k price jump). As a final level of insurance, we can wait until the final team sheets are lodged on Good Friday just to make sure.
Dempsey booted three goals on his way to 96 points in round 1 and showed he can still score even without kicking any goals with a 56 in round 2.
He will score more points than Pink and Hore, but coaches are searching for reinforcements (again) in the backline after Nick Coffield became the third popular defence rookie to suffer a long-term injury in two weeks.

Carlton midfielder Jack Carroll. Picture: Daniel Pockett/Getty Images

North Melbourne defender Toby Pink. Picture: Jason McCawley/AFL Photos/via Getty Images
Pink seems safe for 40-50 points every week, hopefully he can jag a higher score to get his cash generation moving.
Hore started as the sub last weekend and scored 12 points but we know he can do much better – he averaged 70 for the Demons in 2019. Injuries to Steven May and Jake Lever would improve his job security, but Lever (knee) is a chance to play this week and May (broken ribs) might not be out for long.

TRADE OUT?
1. Nick Coffield (DEF) $123,900 | Av: 26 | Break Even: 18
2. Nick Watson (FWD) $189,300 | Av: 41 | Break Even: 25
3. Finlay Macrae (FWD) $152,600 | Av: 20 | Break Even: 46
4. Caleb Windsor (MID-FWD) $211,500 | Av: 40 | Break Even: 8
5. Charlie Lazzaro (MID-FWD) $181,100 | Av: 54 | Break Even: -1
6. Zane Duursma (MID-FWD) $193,800 | Av: 62 | Break Even: -14
7. Jhye Clark (MID) $123,900 | Av: 37 | Break Even: -3
8. Shaun Mannagh (MID-FWD) $117,300 | Av: 43 | Break Even: -20
9. Tom Berry (FWD) $208,200 | Av: 63 | Break Even: -10
10. Alex Sexton (FWD) $182,800 | Av: 61 | Break Even: -6

If you need to find space in your squad for the rookies listed in the first two sections, someone has to go.
If you have anyone on your bench who is injured (Coffield), not getting games (Dan Curtin, Nate Caddy and Henry Hustwaite still feature in many teams) or have shown sketchy job security or scoring potential (Finlay Macrae, Nick Watson), they are the first players on the chopping block.
There is one exception here – if you have more than one injured rookie in defence you could afford to keep one at least through the early bye rounds.
Next up are cheapies who have played two games and are about to rise in price – but not by much.
Players like Charlie Lazzaro, Zane Duursma, Jhye Clark and Shaun Mannagh are not must trades, and any one of them could kickstart their cash generation with a breakout game. But at this stage they look more like slow burn bench options. There’s nothing wrong with having a couple of players like that, but if it helps you improve your team you can move them on without any regrets.

Jhye Clark is getting strong midfield minutes for the Cats. Picture: Robert Cianflone/Getty Images
Some coaches will be tempted to cut ties with Gold Coast rookies Berry and Sexton following disappointing scores in round 2. But the smart play is to hold them over their bye this week, get at least one more price bump then assess their roles. Sexton has the potential to make a lot more cash – as long as he stays in defence. He spent some time in the forward line against the Bulldogs and if that becomes a permanent shift, we can cut and run.
GWS forward Aaron Cadman won’t play this week, but he’s a big HOLD with a Break Even of -52.

WATCH LIST (ONE GAME)
Sam Darcy (FWD) $123,900 | R3 score: 109
Tom Brown (DEF) $154,200 | R3 score: 63
Karl Worner (DEF) $134,100 | R2 score: 63

Darcy couldn’t have been more impressive in his first game for the year and is likely to find his way into some teams this week, but we can afford to get another look at him before committing. However, it’s worth keeping him in mind when making trades this week – do you need to save a spot in your forward line?
Brown could have reasonable job security given Richmond’s injury issues. Worner, meanwhile, was very impressive in round 1 until he was knocked out halfway through the third quarter. If he comes back into the Fremantle team this week or next week he could be a saviour for our besieged backlines.

AFL Club
Hawthorn
AFL 2024: All the injury, team news ahead of round 3 as Sam Walsh timeline revealed, Doedee re-tears ACL
Clayton Oliver has sent a scare through Melbourne as it prepares for a blockbuster against Port Adelaide after being sent for scans following as training mishap. See every club’s injury list here.

Ed Bourke
Josh Barnes
Jay Clark
and
Jon Ralph
March 27, 2024 - 3:00PM

Melbourne star Clayton Oliver was sent for a scan after suffering a dislocated finger at training on Wednesday, but the Demons still expect him to face Port Adelaide on Saturday.

The Demons confirmed Oliver left Casey Fields for a scan following the incident but do not have concerns over his availability ahead of the blockbuster Adelaide Oval clash.

It comes as coach Simon Goodwin said he was “really confident” key defender Jake Lever would play despite sitting out the second half of the win over Hawthorn with a knee concern.

Lever’s availability will be a major boost to a Melbourne backline missing star Steven May, who Goodwin said might only miss one week after suffering a painful double rib fracture and a small spinal fracture.

Goodwin said May was even lobbying to face the Power, but he said the club wouldn’t be “silly” in rushing the defender back.

“Steven May will just be the one week we think at the moment. He’ll run do some running today … and that might sound a bit strange to people, but just to get a guide on where he sits,” Goodwin said.

“We’re confident he’ll travel to Adelaide with us. And we’re really, really hopefully he will play the following week.

“He’ll be knocking on the door saying put me in (this week), but I don’t expect it to be the case … we certainly won’t be silly in that space. We’ll make sure that he’s right.”

Goodwin was tight lipped over which end of the ground he would deploy swingman Harrison Petty as he said either Adam Tomlinson or Marty Hore could replace May.

“We’re really confident (Lever) will play. So he’ll train today. We’re really confident he’ll be able to get through that session and be available for this week,” the coach said.

“So that’s exciting for our club after the weekend where there’s a bit of doom and gloom about having two key defensive pillars out.

“If I told you (where Petty would play), I’d be telling Port Adelaide … we’ve got some options.

“You know, Adam Tomlinson’s played some solid footy. Marty Hore plays tall as well. So we’ve got some options in the back half of the ground.

“Harrison is one of those players that you’d love to have him at either end of the ground. So we’ll make that decision probably tomorrow.”

LUCKLESS LION SUFFERS ACL HEARTBREAK ON CUSP OF RETURN
Unlucky Brisbane Lions recruit Tom Doedee will not make his return from a knee injury against Collingwood after copping a “heartbreaking” tear in his repaired knee at training on Tuesday.

Doedee was in the mix to play his first AFL game since round 12, when he ruptured his right ACL while playing for Adelaide, when he re-injured the knee.

The aggravation came in the final minutes of the training session and the Lions confirmed it was a partial tear to his ACL.

The Lions and Doedee will meet with a surgeon later this week and are yet to find out how long he will be sidelined.

The rupture last year was the second time he had suffered the injury, having supterd his left ACL in 2019.

Doedee, 27, played in the VFL on the weekend and spoke to the media this week, confirming he felt ready to play at the top level.

“I’ve got through that first game, which is always the biggest anxiety-inducing game because you’ve just been out for so long,” he said.

“I’m hoping to be back playing properly for the rest of the season, but there are still a few little things to sort out to make sure I’m back to 100 per cent.

“You don’t want to come back before you’re ready and waste 10 months of work.”

Lions footy boss Danny Daly said the injury was “cruel”.

“It’s incredibly heartbreaking for Tom, and everyone at the club are really feeling for him,” he said.

“Sport can produce some of the most amazing moments, but in cases like this it can also be extremely cruel.

“Tom is a fantastic person who has already become a highly popular member of our Club, and everyone was excited to see him so close to making his comeback.

“He has shown he is the ultimate professional by doing everything he could to recover from his ACL, which we have all admired, and I have no doubt he will treat this injury the same.

“Everyone at the Brisbane Lions will continue to give our full support to Tom and his family.”

The Lions will be able to call on experienced defender Darcy Gardiner for Thursday’s crucial Magpies clash after he was cleared of any damage to his knee, while Jack Payne is fit and played in the VFL last weekend.

WALSH’S RECOVERY TIME EXTENDED AS DEFENDER SET FOR RETURN
Carlton superstar Sam Walsh is expected to miss up to three more matches as he steps up his recovery from a debilitating back injury.

The Blues confirmed the jet midfielder was set to return to main training next week and push to play in either Round 5 (against Adelaide) or Round 6 (versus GWS Giants).

Carlton is happy Walsh has progressed in his recovery over the past month after reporting soreness in his back late in the preseason following back surgery in December 2022.

As expected gun centre half back Jacob Weitering is in line to play against North Melbourne in the Good Friday clash at Marvel Stadium along with Caleb Marchbank.

But Jack Martin will be unavailable for the clash against Kangaroos after hurting his hamstring at training on Monday.

Weitering tore his calf in January and missed the preseason games while Marchbank has been out with a viral illness since February.

The key defenders will provide key coverage in the defensive end as the Blues attempt to keep their good start to the season rolling against North, Fremantle (in Adelaide) and Adelaide over the next three games.

Speedster Jesse Motlop is also in the mix after recovering from a toe injury, while Gold Coast recruit Elijah Hollands is also pressing to play after serving a two-game suspension for being caught with an illicit substance.

RIB RISK
Respected sports medico Peter Brukner says Steven May would be risking more damage returning from rib and vertebrae issues if he only misses a single game.

The Demons star defender was crunched by Hawthorn’s Mabior Chol and spent time in hospital over the weekend with multiple broken ribs and the transverse fracture of the vertebrae.

Melbourne has ruled him out against Port Adelaide this weekend but is hopeful depending upon his pain levels he could play against Adelaide the following Thursday.

A former club doctor for Collingwood, Melbourne and multiple Australian sporting teams, Brukner said May might be able to withstand the pain.

But after Travis Boak and Jeremy Cameron battled with associated side effects of rib injuries last year he said there were other complications for the Demons to consider.

“There are two issues. One is the pain. Broken ribs are bloody painful and you can block the pain with injections, but the rib also has to heal. If you get another hit on the rib the fracture can get even worse and it’s potentially dangerous and it can impact the lung. I would be surprised if he plays before three or four weeks. That is the most likely scenario.

“The (transverse fracture) is just a little bone, a projection off the side of the vertebrae. It’s just about pain and maybe if you got another knock on it you might displace the fracture. But you don’t want to damage the lung. If your rib breaks in two places and pierces the lung you can get a pneumothorax (punctured lung).”

The Demons will sweat on Jake Lever’s knee injury and hope he gets through training, having diagnosed only some soreness behind his kneecap.

He had believed he might have torn his ACL again but instead the Demons are optimistic he could play against Port Adelaide.

AFL Club
Hawthorn
CLUB BY CLUB INJURY LIST
ADELAIDE
Z Taylor Concussion 1-2
R Sloane Eye TBC
H Schoenberg Achilles 4-6
N Murray Knee 8-10
R Thilthorpe Knee 10-12

BRISBANE LIONS

T Doedee ACL season
D Gardiner Knee Available
C McKenna Hamstring 3
Z Zakostelsky Groin 6-7
C Michael Knee 7
W Ashcroft Knee TBC
K Coleman Knee Season

CARLTON
S Walsh Back 2-3
J Martin Hamstring 2-3
M Carroll Groin TBC
A Mirkov Heart TBC
S Docherty Knee Season
J Silvagni Knee Season

COLLINGWOOD
O Steene Concussion 1
N Kreuger Hamstring 2
J Eyre Hamstring 5-8
H DeMattia Finger 6-7
N Murphy Concussion TBC
D McStay Knee TBC

ESSENDON
D Parish Hamstring Test
J Kelly Illness Test
A McGrath Ankle Test
W Setterfield Knee Test
D Shiel Abductor Test
J Ridley Quad 1
M Guelfi Calf 1-2
T Wanganeen Foot 3
Z Reid Hamstring 4
K Baldwin Foot 11

FREMANTLE
H Chapman Hamstring 1
N O’Driscoll Knee 1
K Worner Concussion 1
E Stanley Ankle 1
S Darcy Knee 2-3
C Wagner Calf 4-5
B Cox Hamstring 11-13
O McDonald Knee TBC

GEELONG
T Atkins Adductor Available
J Bowes Calf Available
T Bruhn Foot Test
P Dangerfield Hamstring 2
J Furphy Ankle 3
G Rohan Back 2-4
M Edwards Back 5
C Guthrie Quad 4-6

GOLD COAST
B Humphrey Shoulder Test
L Johnston Hamstring 3
L Weller Knee TBC

GWS GIANTS
J Fonti Adductor 1
B Preuss Back 1-2
P Gothard Illness TBC
A Kennedy Knee TBC
C Ward Shoulder 4-5
I Cumming Calf 5-6
J Leake Quad 5-7
N Wardius Shin 5-7

HAWTHORN
J O’Sullivan Foot Test
C Stephens Achilles Test
C Jiath Hamstring 4
W Day Foot 5
C Wingard Achilles 6
D Grainger-Barras Toe 8-10
W McCabe Back TBC
J Blanck Knee Season

MELBOURNE

C Oliver Finger Test
O Sestan Concussion Test
J Lever Knee Test
S May Ribs 1
L Hunter Calf 1
D Turner Hip 2-3
C Spargo Achilles 2-4
S McAdam Hamstring 3-5
J Bowey Shoulder 7
J Melksham Knee 12-14

NORTH MELBOURNE
M Bergman Jaw 4-6
C Harvey Ankle 6
G Logue Knee 9-11
J Goater Achilles Season

PORT ADELAIDE
L Jones Calf Test
J McEntee Concussion Test
J Horne-Francis Hamstring 1
T McCallum Ankle 3-4
O Lord Knee/Tibia 6-8
H Jackson Hip 11-13

RICHMOND
T Young Concussion Test
N Broad Calf Test
M Coulthard Illness Test
M Rioli Back Test
J Graham Quad 1-2
J Trezise Ankle 4-6
J Hopper Knee 4-6
D Prestia Hamstring 8
J Gibcus Knee Season

ST KILDA
P Dow Knee 1-2
J Hayes Knee 1-2
H Clark Calf 3-4
J Van Es Ankle 3-4
D Howard Hamstring 3-4
M Wood Collarbone 4-6
M Allison Knee 6-8
B Crouch Knee 6-8
L Henry Hamstring 6-8
B Paton Pectoral 10-12

SYDNEY
T Adams Knee Test
R Fox Calf Test
A Sheldrick Finger 1-2
H Cunningham Concussion 1-2
L Parker Arm 2
H Arnold Back 8-10
C Mills Shoulder 10

WEST COAST
J Culley Knee 1-2
L Ryan Hamstring 1-3
D Sheed Foot 2-3
R Bazzo Groin TBC
A Reid Knee 4-6
M Flynn Knee 6-8
O Allen Knee 7
E Hewett Foot Indefinite

WESTERN BULLDOGS
J O’Donnell Concussion Test
J Croft Shins Test
E Richards Concussion TBC
R Gardner Foot 3-4
N Coffield Shoulder 12-14
A O’Driscoll Concussion Indefinite
B Smith Knee Season

Darkie

Leadership Group
AFL Club
Collingwood
CLUB BY CLUB INJURY LIST
ADELAIDE
Z Taylor Concussion 1-2
R Sloane Eye TBC
H Schoenberg Achilles 4-6
N Murray Knee 8-10
R Thilthorpe Knee 10-12

BRISBANE LIONS

T Doedee ACL season
D Gardiner Knee Available
C McKenna Hamstring 3
Z Zakostelsky Groin 6-7
C Michael Knee 7
W Ashcroft Knee TBC
K Coleman Knee Season

CARLTON
S Walsh Back 2-3
J Martin Hamstring 2-3
M Carroll Groin TBC
A Mirkov Heart TBC
S Docherty Knee Season
J Silvagni Knee Season

COLLINGWOOD
O Steene Concussion 1
N Kreuger Hamstring 2
J Eyre Hamstring 5-8
H DeMattia Finger 6-7
N Murphy Concussion TBC
D McStay Knee TBC

ESSENDON
D Parish Hamstring Test
J Kelly Illness Test
A McGrath Ankle Test
W Setterfield Knee Test
D Shiel Abductor Test
J Ridley Quad 1
M Guelfi Calf 1-2
T Wanganeen Foot 3
Z Reid Hamstring 4
K Baldwin Foot 11

FREMANTLE
H Chapman Hamstring 1
N O’Driscoll Knee 1
K Worner Concussion 1
E Stanley Ankle 1
S Darcy Knee 2-3
C Wagner Calf 4-5
B Cox Hamstring 11-13
O McDonald Knee TBC

GEELONG
T Atkins Adductor Available
J Bowes Calf Available
T Bruhn Foot Test
P Dangerfield Hamstring 2
J Furphy Ankle 3
G Rohan Back 2-4
M Edwards Back 5
C Guthrie Quad 4-6

GOLD COAST
B Humphrey Shoulder Test
L Johnston Hamstring 3
L Weller Knee TBC

GWS GIANTS
J Fonti Adductor 1
B Preuss Back 1-2
P Gothard Illness TBC
A Kennedy Knee TBC
C Ward Shoulder 4-5
I Cumming Calf 5-6
J Leake Quad 5-7
N Wardius Shin 5-7

HAWTHORN
J O’Sullivan Foot Test
C Stephens Achilles Test
C Jiath Hamstring 4
W Day Foot 5
C Wingard Achilles 6
D Grainger-Barras Toe 8-10
W McCabe Back TBC
J Blanck Knee Season

MELBOURNE

C Oliver Finger Test
O Sestan Concussion Test
J Lever Knee Test
S May Ribs 1
L Hunter Calf 1
D Turner Hip 2-3
C Spargo Achilles 2-4
S McAdam Hamstring 3-5
J Bowey Shoulder 7
J Melksham Knee 12-14

NORTH MELBOURNE
M Bergman Jaw 4-6
C Harvey Ankle 6
G Logue Knee 9-11
J Goater Achilles Season

PORT ADELAIDE
L Jones Calf Test
J McEntee Concussion Test
J Horne-Francis Hamstring 1
T McCallum Ankle 3-4
O Lord Knee/Tibia 6-8
H Jackson Hip 11-13

RICHMOND
T Young Concussion Test
N Broad Calf Test
M Coulthard Illness Test
M Rioli Back Test
J Graham Quad 1-2
J Trezise Ankle 4-6
J Hopper Knee 4-6
D Prestia Hamstring 8
J Gibcus Knee Season

ST KILDA
P Dow Knee 1-2
J Hayes Knee 1-2
H Clark Calf 3-4
J Van Es Ankle 3-4
D Howard Hamstring 3-4
M Wood Collarbone 4-6
M Allison Knee 6-8
B Crouch Knee 6-8
L Henry Hamstring 6-8
B Paton Pectoral 10-12

SYDNEY
T Adams Knee Test
R Fox Calf Test
A Sheldrick Finger 1-2
H Cunningham Concussion 1-2
L Parker Arm 2
H Arnold Back 8-10
C Mills Shoulder 10

WEST COAST
J Culley Knee 1-2
L Ryan Hamstring 1-3
D Sheed Foot 2-3
R Bazzo Groin TBC
A Reid Knee 4-6
M Flynn Knee 6-8
O Allen Knee 7
E Hewett Foot Indefinite

WESTERN BULLDOGS
J O’Donnell Concussion Test
J Croft Shins Test
E Richards Concussion TBC
R Gardner Foot 3-4
N Coffield Shoulder 12-14
A O’Driscoll Concussion Indefinite
B Smith Knee Season
Thank you - this is quite a simple/clean format.

AFL Club
Hawthorn
SuperCoach AFL 2024: Which players are in line for dual-position status in round 7?
The first round of position changes for 2024 will be a SuperCoach game changer. See the exclusive stats on the big names who could gain dual position status.
Tim Michell and Al Paton
April 3, 2024 - 10:57AM
Get ready for a SuperCoach game changer.
In-season dual-position player changes have added a new dimension to the game in recent seasons, and the first batch for 2024 are just around the corner.
Facing a rookie crisis in defence? Help is on the way.
SuperCoach squads are also set to gain new flexibility, and likely DPP additions can change trade strategy in coming weeks.
Who is likely to have a new position added after round 7?
Scroll down to see exclusive time in position stats for the season so far and expert analysis on the key DPP contenders.
DPP CHANGES in 2024
The three DPP changes this year will take place:
After round 6, before round 7
After round 11, before round 12
After round 17, before round 18
NOTE: Positions cannot be removed once added and a player can only have a maximum of two positions. To be eligible for a second position, a player must play 35 per cent or more in a secondary position and feature in 50 per cent of games during the data period.
Zac Fisher
Defence 100%
The role change SuperCoaches wanted has been there – it’s just the premium scores which haven’t. Fisher has been used solely in defence but there’s a lot of mouths to feed back there with Harry Sheezel and Colby McKercher also playing rebounding roles. Coaches who haven’t already jumped off will get a FWD-DEF swing after round 6.
Nic Martin
Defence 100%
Martin has played exclusively in defence this year and is locked in to become DEF-MID. The return of Mason Redman from suspension didn’t stop him having 44 disposals against the Saints and he’s been Essendon’s No.1 kick-in taker. Those who jumped off might rue it.
Riley Bonner
Defence 98%
Wing 2%
Coaches who stuck by the former Port player will be rewarded when he becomes DEF-MID in a few weeks. After playing predominantly as a wing in his final year in South Australia Bonner has been one of the main distributors in the St Kilda defence. His long-term job security might be shaky, but he’s all but assured of DPP.
Hayden Young
Defence 10%
Midfield 90%
Long-term injuries to Brennan Cox and Oscar McDonald haven’t shifted Justin Longmuir’s thinking that Young is now a fully-fledged midfielder. The fact he had 19 clangers in the first two rounds was a concern, but his role certainly isn’t. Locked in for DEF-MID.
Karl Amon
Defence 100%
A move to defence which was so profitable for Amon’s scoring in the last month of 2023 hasn’t been as successful this year. He’s still playing behind the ball but with Blake Hardwick, James Sicily, Jarman Impey and Jack Scrimshaw also back there, he hasn’t hit the heights many were expecting. Locked in for DEF-MID, though.
Tom Powell
Midfield 97%
Forward 3%
Possible DPP seemed to be the forgotten factor when thousands traded in Powell last week – maybe we just assumed he was already FWD-MID? Only Luke Davies-Uniacke (87 per cent) has attended more centre bounces than Powell (86 per cent) for the Roos so far and he’s all but locked in to have MID status added. Could he be our finishing M9/F7 swing?
Colby McKercher
Defence 97%
Wing 2%
Forward 1%
Clarko has done us all a favour here by guaranteeing McKercher DEF-MID status – not that is was really in any doubt after he spent pre-season in the backline. It’ll come at the perfect time too, after a spate of injuries to popular SuperCoach rookies Nick Coffield, Josh Gibcus and Zach Reid.
Isaac Heeney
Midfield 81%
Forward 19%
The realists among us know that Heeney’s time as a full-blown midfielder is coming to an end once Taylor Adams, Callum Mills and Luke Parker return. But that won’t matter for DPP additions. Heeney has already played more than 80 per cent midfield and is destined to be FWD-MID in a few weeks. Now we pray John Longmire leaves him there.
Ryley Sanders
Midfield 62%
Forward 38%
While most of us have been fixated on Luke Beveridge going full Bevo and subbing out Sanders and Tom Liberatore in the first three rounds, the Bulldogs coach might gift us the No.6 draft as a FWD-MID. Sanders is on the borderline of the 35 per cent threshold and will be a big watch in coming weeks.
Sam Darcy
Ruck 42%
Forward 58%
This one has come slightly from left field but in the past two weeks Darcy has attended 69 ruck contests and had 23 hitouts. For comparison, Tim English has been at 115 ruck contests. But Darcy doesn’t need to be the No.1 big man to be RUC-FWD, he only needs 35 per cent ruck time. And as it stands, he’s well over that mark. Maybe Bevo could do us all a favour and push Tim English forward for a few weeks to make him RUC-FWD too? He’s done crazier things.
Matt Roberts
Defence 96%
Wing 4%
One of the boom rookies of 2024 has become a weapon off half-back with his accurate left boot – his kicking efficiency of 89 per cent ranks No.1 at the Swans. Don’t even think of trading him on Sydney’s bye. After he becomes DEF-MID we can swing him back to support the threadbare defence, where he is scoring well enough to play on field until Sydney’s next bye in round 12. By then he could be worth $400k.
Alex Sexton
Defence 90%
Forward 10%
Was spotted back in the forward line before the bye but that was likely Damien Hardwick spinning the magnets on a dismal day for the Suns in Ballarat. Apart from that Sexton has been a full-time defender and is all but locked in to become a FWD-DEF. If he reverts to a permanent forward – where he averaged 24 points a game last year – we’ll want to get him out of our SuperCoach teams before DPP changes come into play.
Max Holmes
Defence 73%
Wing 12%
Midfield 15%
Chris Scott likes to throw Holmes around to wherever the Cats can make use of his frightening pace, and that has mostly been in defence. An average of 97 (up from 80 last season) is a win from his starting price, but even as a MID-DEF there are other players you would target first with a trade from this point.
Marcus Bontempelli
Midfield 87%
Forward 13%
After playing as a pure midfielder in the first two rounds the Bulldogs captain spent a lot more time forward against the Eagles as Jack Macrae returned to the team and attended 48 per cent of centre bounces. Bont becoming mid/fwd mid-season has happened before but he would need to spend more than 50 per cent of game time in the forward line over the next three rounds to get that figure to 35 per cent. That seems highly unlikely, but with Bevo in charge we aren’t ruling it out.
Buku Khamis
Defence 100%
Has played as the Dogs’ second tall defender this season and done well enough to keep Alex Keath in the VFL. Guaranteed to become DEF-FWD, an added bonus for the 3 per cent of coaches who started him and have been rewarded with a 66 average.
Christian Petracca
Midfield 80%
Forward 20%
Christian Petracca the MID-FWD is set to remain the elusive white whale of SuperCoach. The Demons gun spends plenty of time forward during matches but doesn’t start there often enough after stoppages to get to that magical 35 per cent figure.
Massimo D'Ambrosio
Defence 16%
Wing 83%
Forward 1%
Incredibly now the seventh-most selected player in SuperCoach, D’Ambrosio would need a major role change to miss out on DEF-MID DPP, with wing time classified as midfield for SuperCoach. And there’s no reason for Sam Mitchell would consider that after his excellent start to 2024.
Christian Salem
Defence 47%
Midfield 53%
The Salem midfield experiment might already be over. He spent three-and-a-half matches there before being moved back to defence after halftime against Port Adelaide. If that continues he might miss out on DEF-MID status. The move resulted in a small bump to his SuperCoach output but not enough to get him close to the top-end scorers in either line.
Ollie Wines
Midfield 81%
Forward 19%
The 19,000 coaches wrestling with what to do with Wines were hoping potential MID-FWD status would make their decision easier, but the bad news is when Wines isn’t in the centre square he’s often on the bench, not at full-forward. A hamstring injury might make the decision on whether to trade or hold Wines for them, regardless.

AFL Club
Hawthorn
CLUB BY CLUB INJURY LIST
Adelaide injury list
Name Injury Estimated Return
Jordon Butts Ankle Test
Wayne Milera Knee Season
Nick Murray Knee 7-9 weeks
Lachlan Murphy Knee 3-5 weeks
Harry Schoenberg Achilles 3-5 weeks
Rory Sloane Detached retina TBC
Zac Taylor Concussion Available
Riley Thilthorpe Knee 10-12 weeks
Milera is done for the season with a patella rupture
Updated: April 3

Brisbane injury list
Will Ashcroft Knee TBC
Keidean Coleman ACL 2025
Tom Doedee Knee TBC
Conor McKenna Hamstring 2 weeks
Carter Michael Knee 6 weeks
Zane Zakostelsky Groin 6-7 weeks
Brandon Ryan Toe Test

Carlton injury list
Matt Carroll Groin Indefinite
David Cuningham Calf TBC
Sam Docherty ACL 2025
Caleb Marchbank Concussion 1-2 weeks
Jack Martin Knee TBC
Alex Mirkov Conditioning Indefinite
Jesse Motlop Hamstring TBC
Jack Silvagni Knee 2025
Sam Walsh Back 1-2 weeks

Collingwood injury list
Harry DeMattia Finger 4-6 weeks
Josh Eyre Hamstring 4-6 weeks
Nathan Kreuger Hamstring Test
Daniel McStay Knee TBC
Nathan Murphy Concussion TBC
Oscar Steene Concussion TBC

Essendon injury list
Kaine Baldwin Foot 10 weeks
Sam Durham Concussion/shoulder 1 week
Matt Guelfi Calf 2 weeks
Jaiden Hunter Knee 2025
Zach Reid Hamstring 3 weeks
Jordan Ridley Quad 1 week
Dylan Shiel Oblique strain 1 week
Tex Wanganeen Foot 2 weeks
Peter Wright Foot Round 7

Fremantle injury list
Heath Chapman Hamstring Test
Josh Corbett Hip 2025
Brennan Cox Leg 10-12 weeks
Sean Darcy Knee 1 week
Sebit Kuek Knee 2025
Oscar McDonald Knee TBC
Odin Jones Concussion TBC
Nathan O'Driscoll Knee Test
Ethan Stanley Ankle Test
Corey Wagner Calf 2 weeks
Karl Worner Concussion Test
Sam Sturt Hamstring Test

Geelong injury list
Patrick Dangerfield Hamstring 1 week
Mitch Edwards Back 4 weeks
Joe Furphy Ankle 3 weeks
Cam Guthrie Quad 3-5 weeks
Gary Rohan Back 1-3 weeks

Gold Coast Suns injury list
Sandy Brock Forearm 3 weeks
Jy Farrar Thumb 3 weeks
Bailey Humphrey Shoulder Test
Lloyd Johnston Hamstring 3 weeks
Lachie Weller Knee 12-14 weeks

WATCH AFL LIVE WITH

NO LOCK-IN CONTRACT

YOUR FAVOURITE SPORTS ON YOUR FAVOURITE DEVICES IN HD

JOIN KAYO NOW
GWS Giants injury list
Isaac Cumming Quad 4-5 weeks
Joe Fonti Adductor Test
Phoenix Gothard Illness Available
Adam Kennedy Knee Indefinite
James Leake Quad 4-6 weeks
Braydon Preuss Back Test
Callan Ward Shoulder 1-2 weeks
Nathan Wardius Shin 4-6 weeks

Hawthorn injury list
James Blanck ACL 2025
Will Day Foot fracture 4 weeks
Denver Grainger-Barras Toe 7-9 weeks
Changkuoth Jiath Hamstring 3 weeks
Mitch Lewis Hamstring 1-2 weeks
Will McCabe Back TBC
Nick Watson Ankle 4-6 weeks
Chad Wingard Achilles 5 weeks

Melbourne injury list
Jake Bowey Collarbone 7 weeks
Lachie Hunter Calf 1 week
Steven May Ribs 1 week
Shane McAdam Hamstring 3-5 weeks
Jake Melksham Knee 12-14 weeks
Joel Smith Misconduct Indefinite
Ollie Sestan Concussion Test
Charlie Spargo Achilles 2-4 weeks
Daniel Turner Hip 2-3 weeks
Updated: April 1

North Melbourne injury list
Callum Coleman-Jones Achilles 2025
Josh Goater Achilles 2025
Griffin Logue Knee 10-12 weeks
Bigoa Nyuon Ribs Test
Coleman-Jones ruptured his Achilles against Carlton and will miss the season
Updated: March 30

Port Adelaide injury list
Travis Boak Concussion TBC
Jason Horne-Francis Hamstring Test
Hugh Jackson Hip 11-13 weeks
Ollie Lord Knee/tibia 6-8 weeks
Tom McCallum Ankle 3-4 weeks
Sam Powell-Pepper Suspension Round 5

Richmond injury list
Mate Colina Back Long term
Matthew Coulthard Illness Test
Liam Fawcett Back Long term
Josh Gibcus ACL 2025
Jack Graham Quad 1-2 weeks
Jacob Hopper Knee 4-6 weeks
Tom Lynch Hamstring Long-term
Dion Prestia Hamstring 8 weeks
James Trezise Ankle 4-6 weeks
Noah Balta MCL 3-5 weeks
Liam Baker Suspension 1 week
Lynch needs surgery on a hamstring tendon issue. Won't be back until second-half of the season
Balta will miss around around a month after a media ligament strain
Baker will miss Gather Round after his Tribunal appeal failed
Updated: April 2

St Kilda injury list
Matt Allison Knee 6-8 weeks
Hunter Clark Calf 3-4 weeks
Brad Crouch Knee 6-8 weeks
Paddy Dow Knee 1-2 weeks
Liam Henry Hamstring 6-8 weeks
Dougal Howard Hamstring 3-4 weeks
Ben Paton Pectoral 10-12 weeks
Mason Wood Concussion/collarbone 4-6 weeks
James Van Es Ankle 3-4 weeks
Jimmy Webster Suspension Round 8
Marcus Windhager Suspension Round 5
Windhager's bump on Durham has seen him banned for a week

Sydney injury list
Taylor Adams Knee Test
Harry Arnold Back 10 weeks
Harry Cunningham Concussion 1-2 weeks
Callum Mills Shoulder 10 weeks
Luke Parker Arm 2 weeks
Dane Rampe Hamstring TBC
Angus Sheldrick Finger 1-2 weeks

West Coast injury list
Oscar Allen Knee 8-10 weeks
Rhett Bazzo Groin 6-8 weeks
Tyler Brockman Concussion TBC
Jai Culley Knee 1 week
Matt Flynn Knee 6-8 weeks
Elijah Hewett Foot Mid-season
Archer Reid Knee 3-4 weeks
Liam Ryan Hamstring 2-3 weeks
Dom Sheed Foot 1-2 weeks

Western Bulldogs injury list
Nick Coffield Shoulder 12-14 weeks
Jordan Croft Shin Test
Ryan Gardner Foot 3-4 weeks
James O'Donnell Concussion Test
Aiden O'Driscoll Concussion Indefinite
Ed Richards Concussion TBC
Bailey Smith Knee 2025

AFL Club
St Kilda
For those looking at Max King, Ross Lyon had this to say.
Source news.com.au

AFL 2024: Ross Lyon tells St Kilda players not to overtarget Max King

St Kilda’s midfielders have been warned not to get overexcited about a returning spearhead when they take on Richmond on Sunday.

St Kilda coach Ross Lyon says he wants his side to continue to look for avenues to goal outside of Max King as the key forward returns from suspension on Sunday.

Lyon said he was pleased with the forward half “sizzle” the Saints continued to show in their round 3 loss to Essendon and had no serious concerns over the state of their game plan despite a 1-2 start to the season.

The Saints had 51 forward entries to Essendon’s 53 on Saturday but only managed to kick 9.13 as King was absent with a one-match ban for striking.

Lyon urged his midfielders to continue to “scan and look” for free players rather than bombing the ball on top of King against a Richmond defence boasting interceptor Nick Vlastuin in rare form.

“You’ve got to use the ball well, you’ve got to bring it to ground. (Vlastuin) will have his moments, but we’ve got to make sure we have more moments,” Lyon said on Friday.

“Regardless of Max, I thought we had opportunities last week. We want to become an ‘every time’ team that looks and sees options, so it’s about improvement.

“It’s great to have Max back, but it’s not about Max, that ball could’ve gone to 17 other players, we all want to scan and look and see the free players.”

Lyon said St Kilda’s game was in “good order” and set to be bolstered with the impending availability of players including Paddy Dow, who is yet to make his club debut after battling a knee injury over summer.

“I think it’s pretty healthy, 1-2, to be honest. We’re clear on some areas where we need to improve. Eight points and four points (margins), in both games we had opportunities and we didn’t close out late,” he said.

“Our game is in good order if you’re talking about possession game. Scoring, someone said we’ve got a lot of sizzle, probably too much sizzle at times.

“Our availability is going to be increasing, there are guys making ground quickly like (Jack) Hayes and (Paddy) Dow.”

Lyon said the Saints were also preparing for the demands of a narrow Norwood Oval as opponent Richmond marked different boundary lines at Punt Road to acclimatise to the dimensions.

“Geelong’s ground was the narrowest ground in (the AFL) at 116m (Norwood is 110m) – it’s a narrow ground but it’s long, I know it’s got a couple of goalposts either end, a number of umpires running around … I don’t complicate it much mate, it is what it is, and we’re looking forward to the contest,” he said.

“We’d play on asphalt this week to be honest … remember that? Pebbles, schoolyard … we’re excited about Gather Round.”

AFL Club
Hawthorn
Adelaide injury list
Wayne Milera Knee Season
Nick Murray Knee 7-9 weeks
Lachlan Murphy Knee 3-5 weeks
Harry Schoenberg Achilles 3-5 weeks
Rory Sloane Detached retina TBC
Riley Thilthorpe Knee 10-12 weeks
No reported injuries out of the Melbourne match
Updated: April 9

Brisbane injury list
Will Ashcroft Knee TBC
Zac Bailey Ankle TBC
Keidean Coleman ACL 2025
Tom Doedee Knee TBC
Conor McKenna Hamstring 2 weeks
Carter Michael Knee 6 weeks
Zane Zakostelsky Groin 6-7 weeks
Brandon Ryan Toe Test
Zac Bailey left the field with an ankle injury late in the win over North Melbourne

Carlton injury list
Matt Carroll Groin Indefinite
David Cuningham Calf TBC
Sam Docherty ACL 2025
Caleb Marchbank Concussion 1-2 weeks
Jack Martin Knee TBC
Alex Mirkov Conditioning Indefinite
Jesse Motlop Hamstring TBC
Jack Silvagni Knee 2025
Sam Walsh Back 1-2 weeks
No reported injuries out of the Fremantle match

Collingwood injury list
Harry DeMattia Finger 4-6 weeks
Josh Eyre Hamstring 4-6 weeks
Nathan Kreuger Hamstring Test
Daniel McStay Knee TBC
Nathan Murphy Concussion TBC
Scott Pendlebury Ribs TBC
Jakob Ryan Hand TBC
Oscar Steene Concussion TBC
Scott Pendlebury Ribs TBC
Pendlebury was subbed out with a rib injury with the seriousness unknown

Essendon injury list
Kaine Baldwin Foot 10 weeks
Sam Durham Concussion/shoulder 1 week
Matt Guelfi Calf 2 weeks
Jaiden Hunter Knee 2025
Archie Perkins Hamstring TBC
Zach Reid Hamstring 3 weeks
Jordan Ridley Quad 1 week
Dylan Shiel Oblique strain 1 week
Tex Wanganeen Foot 2 weeks
Peter Wright Foot Round 7
Archie Perkins injured his hamstring in the loss to Port Adelaide

Fremantle injury list
Heath Chapman Hamstring Test
Josh Corbett Hip 2025
Brennan Cox Leg 10-12 weeks
Sean Darcy Knee 1 week
Sebit Kuek Knee 2025
Oscar McDonald Knee TBC
Odin Jones Concussion TBC
Nathan O'Driscoll Knee Test
Ethan Stanley Ankle Test
Corey Wagner Calf 2 weeks
Karl Worner Concussion Test
Sam Sturt Hamstring Test
Michael Frederick Hamstring TBC
Frederick only had 56 per cent game time against Carlton after hurting his hamstring

Geelong injury list
Patrick Dangerfield Hamstring 1 week
Mitch Edwards Back 4 weeks
Joe Furphy Ankle 3 weeks
Cam Guthrie Quad 3-5 weeks
Gary Rohan Back 1-3 weeks
No reported injuries out of Bulldogs match

Gold Coast Suns injury list
Sandy Brock Forearm 3 weeks
Jy Farrar Thumb 3 weeks
Lloyd Johnston Hamstring 3 weeks
Lachie Weller Knee 12-14 weeks
No reported injuries out of GWS match

GWS Giants injury list
Isaac Cumming Quad 4-5 weeks
Joe Fonti Adductor Test
Adam Kennedy Knee Indefinite
James Leake Quad 4-6 weeks
Braydon Preuss Back Test
Callan Ward Shoulder 1-2 weeks
Nathan Wardius Shin 4-6 weeks
No reported injuries out of Suns match
Updated: April 8

Hawthorn injury list
James Blanck ACL 2025
Will Day Foot fracture 4 weeks
Denver Grainger-Barras Toe 7-9 weeks
Changkuoth Jiath Hamstring 3 weeks
Mitch Lewis Hamstring 1-2 weeks
Will McCabe Back TBC
Nick Watson Ankle 4-6 weeks
Chad Wingard Achilles 5 weeks
No reported injuries out of Magpies match
Updated: April 8

Melbourne injury list
Jake Bowey Collarbone 6 weeks
Marty Hore Thumb 3-4 weeks
Shane McAdam Hamstring 2-4 weeks
Jake Melksham Knee 11-13 weeks
Joel Smith Misconduct Indefinite
Ollie Sestan Concussion Test
Charlie Spargo Achilles 2-4 weeks
Daniel Turner Hip 1 week
No reported injuries out of Adelaide match

North Melbourne injury list
Miller Bergman Jaw 3 weeks
Callum Coleman-Jones Achilles 2025
Josh Goater Achilles 2025
Riley Hardeman Concussion 1-2 weeks
Cooper Harvey Syndesmosis 5 weeks
Griffin Logue Knee 9-10 weeks
Curtis Taylor Back 1 week
No reported injuries out of Brisbane game

Port Adelaide injury list
Travis Boak Back TBC
Hugh Jackson Hip 10-12 weeks
Ollie Lord Knee/tibia 5-7 weeks
Tom McCallum Ankle 3-4 weeks
Sam Powell-Pepper Suspension Round 5
Ollie Wines Hamstring 1 week
Travis Boak was subbed out with a back issue in the win over the Bombers

Richmond injury list
Noah Balta MCL 4-6 weeks
Jacob Bauer Hamstring 4-6 week
Mate Colina Back Long term
Matthew Coulthard Illness Test
Thomson Dow Ankle TBC
Liam Fawcett Back Long term
Josh Gibcus ACL 2025
Jacob Hopper Knee 3-6 weeks
Tom Lynch Hamstring 10-12 weeks
Kane McAuliffe Ankle TBC
Dion Prestia Hamstring 6 weeks
James Trezise Ankle 3-5 weeks
Dow and debutant McAuliffe both suffered ankle injuries

St Kilda injury list
Matt Allison Knee 4-5 weeks
Hunter Clark Calf 2-4 weeks
Brad Crouch Knee 5-7 weeks
Paddy Dow Knee 2 weeks
Liam Henry Hamstring 5-7 weeks
Dougal Howard Hamstring 1-2 weeks
Ben Paton Pectoral 4-5 weeks
Mason Wood Concussion/collarbone 4- weeks
James Van Es Ankle 3 weeks
Jimmy Webster Suspension Round 8
No reported injuries out of Tigers match

Sydney injury list
Harry Arnold Back 10 weeks
Harry Cunningham Concussion 1-2 weeks
Callum Mills Shoulder 10 weeks
Luke Parker Arm 2 weeks
Dane Rampe Hamstring 3-4 weeks
Sam Reid Quad Test
Angus Sheldrick Finger 1 week

West Coast injury list
Oscar Allen Knee 8-9 weeks
Rhett Bazzo Groin 6-7 weeks
Tyler Brockman Concussion 1-2 weeks
Coby Burgiel Appendix 4-6 weeks
Luke Edwards Hamstring TBC
Matt Flynn Knee 5-7 weeks
Elijah Hewett Foot Mid-season
Ryan Maric Ribs/Lung TBC
Archer Reid Knee 2-3 weeks
Liam Ryan Hamstring 1 week
Ryan Maric was taken to hospital after copping a knee in a marking contest in the loss to Sydney

Western Bulldogs injury list
Nick Coffield Shoulder 12-14 weeks
Ryan Gardner Foot 2-3 weeks
Aiden O'Driscoll Concussion Indefinite
Bailey Smith Knee 2025
No reported injuries out of Cats match

Connoisseur

Leadership Group
AFL Club
Port Adelaide

Bomber18

Leadership Group
AFL Club
Essendon
SuperCoach AFL 2024: Which players are in line for dual-position status in round 7?
A shock contender has emerged for dual-position status in the first round of SuperCoach position changes. See the latest numbers on which players could get DPP.
Tim Michell and Al Paton

5 min read
April 10, 2024 - 11:27AM

Christian Petracca of the Demons.
SuperCoach position changes are a round closer, and the picture is getting clearer.
Players who have spent 35 per cent or more in a secondary position will earn dual-position status after round 6, and some have already locked in a change.
SuperCoach squads are also set to gain new flexibility, and likely DPP additions can change your trade strategy in coming weeks.
Who is likely to have a new position added?
Scroll down to see exclusive time in position stats for the season so far and expert analysis on the key DPP contenders.

DPP CHANGES in 2024
The three DPP changes this year will take place:
  • After round 6, before round 7
  • After round 11, before round 12
  • After round 17, before round 18
NOTE: Positions cannot be removed once added and a player can only have a maximum of two positions. To be eligible for a second position, a player must play 35 per cent or more in a secondary position and feature in 50 per cent of games during the data period.

Jason Horne-Francis
Midfield70%Forward30%

The Port gun, currently listed as MID only, is on the bubble after scoring 112 and 132 in his two games this year. Earning dual-position status would massively increase his trade value – he could finish as a top-six scorer in a weak forward line. He’s not quite there yet, but he’s not far off, and the next two weeks will be massive. The Hornet played 91 per cent of the Power’s round 4 game against Essendon in the midfield – if that continues he’s no chance, but it’s worth noting Ollie Wines missed that game with a hamstring injury. Wines is set to return this week against the Dockers.

Sam Clohesy
Midfield100%

More good news on the DPP front in the form of Gold Coast’s newest SuperCoach rookie gift, who has been traded into more than 33,000 teams after one game. The mature-age recruit is listed as a defender in SuperCoach but played the entire match against GWS on the wing. It’s hard to see Damien Hardwick taking him out of the role and two more games will be enough for DEF-MID status, only adding to his appeal as a trade target.

Charlie Comben
Defence100%

Comben played as a tall forward in his previous sporadic AFL appearances, mostly in between serious injuries including a broken ankle that ruined his 2023 season. But after training in defence all pre-season, Alastair Clarkson played him back in his first game of 2024 and he stood tall in a besieged defence, taking six intercept marks against the Lions on his way to 129 SuperCoach points. Like Clohesy, two more games in the role will ensure he gets a new position, in Comben’s case FWD-DEF.

Ryley Sanders
Midfield64%Forward36%

Bevo is leaving us on the edge here. Sanders becoming a FWD would allow SuperCoaches valuable time to assess DPPs to determine the top forwards of 2024. And even more crucially, free up an on-field spot in midfield. Sanders’ forward percentage for the year dropped from 38 per cent to 36 per cent after last round, just above the 35 per cent DPP threshold. He will be a close wach in the Dogs’ next two games.

Sam Darcy
Ruck43%Forward57%

Darcy’s ruck time dipped slightly last round, attending five centre bounces after starting at nine and seven in his first two games, but his forward split for the season was virtually unchanged. He’s on track to become a FWD-RUC after round 6, as long as Luke Beveridge does the right thing. So, what have we got to worry about?

Sam Darcy is likely to become a FWD-RUC. Picture: Michael Klein

Zac Fisher
Defence100%

The former Blue is locked in to become a DEF-FWD after playing full-time defence in his opening four games as a Roo. Averaging 22 disposals and 398 metres gained.

Nic Martin
Defence100%

The tens of thousands who traded out Martin will be kicking themselves after back-to-back scores in the 130s. He only needed three kick-outs to go big against Port, tallying 10 intercepts and seven marks to frank his growing stature as a defensive ball magnet.

Riley Bonner
Defence99%Midfield1%

Lock him in for DEF-MID. Bonner has rewarded those who showed patience by emerging as a strong mid-price money maker with three scores of 88 or better in four games. Of Bonner’s 101 disposals, 85 have been kicks and he’s going at 71 per cent by foot.

Hayden Young
Defence7%Midfield93%

Another player who has punished impatient coaches who moved him on after two clanger-riddled games to start 2024. Only Caleb Serong and Luke Jackson have had more CBAs for the Dockers this year and Young has attended at least 71 per cent in the past three matches.

Zak Butters leads the Power for score assists. Picture: Jono Searle/AFL Photos/via Getty Images

Zak Butters
Midfield88%Forward12%

Butters attended a season-low 58 per cent of centre bounces in Port Adelaide’s win over Essendon, but he is still well short of regaining the dual-position status that many coaches took advantage of last season.

Karl Amon
Defence94%Midfield6%

The left-footer has been stationed almost exclusively in the backline and had his best game of the year in Gather Round against Collingwood. His scoring had otherwise been a tier below the top defensive options in SuperCoach. But if Blake Hardwick stays forward, who knows?

Tom Powell
Midfield96%Forward4%

Powell went tackle mad against Brisbane and although his score of 73 was underwhelming, his role definitely wasn’t. Powell had 20 CBAs for the Roos against the Lions. His DPP could arrive at the perfect time to offload teammate Colby McKercher and swing Powell into the midfield.

Colby McKercher
Defence76%Midfield22%Forward2%

North Melbourne’s No.2 draft pick is still on track to become DEF-MID despite his time in defence dropping from 97 per cent last week to 76 per cent. McKercher had 14 CBAs against Brisbane after recording zero in the first three rounds.

Isaac Heeney
Midfield82%Forward18%

SuperCoach’s dominant force in the first month has a week off this week. Taylor Adams’ debut for the Swans did little to halt Heeney’s barnstorming start as he kicked two goals and had 26 disposals in the Adelaide Hills. It’s worth noting, though, that he had a season-low 55 per cent CBAs.

Isaac Heeney has been dominating in the midfield. Picture: Matt King/AFL Photos/via Getty Images

Colby McKercher has a great role at half-back. Picture: Michael Klein

Bomber18

Leadership Group
AFL Club
Essendon
Matt Roberts
Defence91%Midfield8%Forward1%

This defensive switch has been a big win for SuperCoach and the Swans. Roberts had 17 disposals for 80 points against West Coast and is going at 90.8 per cent kicking efficiency this season.

Alex Sexton
Defence90%Forward10%

After playing the first three games Sexton will still qualify as a FWD-DEF even if he doesn’t return to the team before round 7, but in that scenario he will be gone from most SuperCoach teams by then.

Max Holmes
Defence63%Midfield37%

Barring a change of heart from Chris Scott in the next two weeks, Holmes will be a DEF-MID. He is ranked above average fod intercepts (5.3) and elite for metres gained (537.9). He looks at home surging out of the backline.

Marcus Bontempelli
Midfield87%Forward13%

Very little chance of DPP unless Luke Beveridge leaves him at full-forward for the next two weeks. Which isn’t as crazy as it sounds the way Bevo spins the magnets, but still a massive long shot.

Buku Khamis
Defence100%

One Dog we can lock in for DPP status. Khamis has transformed from a goalkicking target to a key defender who took six intercept marks playing on Jeremy Cameron.

Christian Petracca
Midfield82%Forward18%

Petracca’s numbers are going the wrong way for those holding out hope of DPP status, with his forward time for the season dropping from 20 per cent to 18 per cent after round 4. It’s hard to see a massive turarnound from here.

Massimo D’Ambrosio has been a great pick-up for the Hawks. Picture: Dylan Burns/AFL Photos via Getty Images

Massimo D'Ambrosio
Defence13%Midfield86%Forward1%

A monty to become a DEF-MID after again spending most of his game time against Collingwood on a wing – at least when he wasn’t stuck on the bench. Averaging 21 touches a game and kicking at 71 per cent.

Christian Salem
Defence58%Midfield42%

Salem didn’t attend a centre bounce last round and his midfield percentage is sliding. Will it stay above 35 per cent? He’ll need to get back into Simon Goodwin’s centre bounce plans to earn DPP.

Ollie Wines
Midfield81%Forward19%

Ken Hinkley wasn’t overly convincing when talking about Wines’ possible return from a hamstring injury this week. Either way he needs to become a permanent forward to have a chance of becoming a dual-position player, in this round of changes at least.